Perhaps the best part of any round of golf is stepping up to the tee, pulling out your driver, and preparing to hit a towering shot right down the fairway. But unless you are a pro, chances are that your drives might end up drifting a little (or a lot) to the left or right. While some of this drift can be blamed on your swing, a good chunk can also come from using an unforgiving driver.
So in today’s article, we’ll be taking a look at 10 different drivers that can lay claim to being the most forgiving driver. Some of the clubs on the list will be the hottest on the market while others are solid options that are usually overlooked. Each and every driver will get a thorough review that will list its key features and why it is considered one of the most forgiving drivers on the market.
Forgiving Driver Reviews
- Speed Injected: Every Head Is Individually Speed Tested and Injected With Tuning Resin to Optimize Cor Across the Entire Face; the Speed Injection Process Is Designed to Maximize Ball Speed and Distance in the M6 Driver
- Twist Face: Revolutionary New Face Curvature With a Corrective Face Angle On Off Center Hits, Engineered to Reduce Side Spin and Deliver Straighter Shots
- AERODYNAMIC CARBON SOLE DESIGN WITH "INERTIA GENERATOR": Sleek, aerodynamic shaping designed to provide increased clubhead speed for more distance.LIE:56° – 60°
- HAMMERHEAD 2.0: The new, more flexible Hammerhead slot works in conjunction with Speed Injected Twist Face to produce a larger sweet spot and preserve ball speed on off-center strikes
Experience the most speed and forgiveness in any driver ever created with the TaylorMade M6!
- Speed Injected Face
- Twist Face
- HammerHead 2.0 Slot
TaylorMade over the last few years has been dominating the golf driver market. By engineering their clubs in new ways, TaylorMade has found the secret to long and straight drives. The M6 is the third edition of the M series, and TaylorMade has packed it full of new technology!
Perhaps the biggest change with the M6 driver compared to earlier years is a Speed Injected Face. This technique uses a special resin that is injected just behind the face to maximize ball speed. TaylorMade combines this new injection technology with the game-changing Twist Face to create outstanding forgiveness and distance. To help preserve ball speed on mishits, a revamped HammerHead 2.0 slot is present just below the leading edge.
Golfers also have plenty of choices when it comes to customization. Golfers can choose between two different Fujikura Atmos shafts that come in regular, senior, stiff, and extra stiff flexes. Base lofts include 9,10.5, and 12 degrees and can be changed slightly with the loft adjustment sleeve.
- Very Forgiving
- Great Distance
- Lots Of Available Configurations
Whether you’re a new or experienced player, the TaylorMade M6 is a perfect choice thanks to outstanding forgiveness.
Callaway Epic Flash
- The Callaway Epic Flash Driver employs a new technology called Flash Face to help golfers get more ball speed for more distance.
- Flash Face’s sophisticated architecture was created by Artificial Intelligence – the first known instance of using A.I.in the golf industry – to create a radically different face.
- Jailbreak Technology features two internal bars that stiffen and stabilize the crown and sole, placing more impact load on the face to promote faster ball speed.
- A new lighter Triaxial Carbon Crown saves weight that’s redistributed within the head to raise MOI for exceptional forgiveness on off-center hits.
- Adjustable Perimeter Weighting gives golfers the power to easily promote draws, fades or a straighter flight.
By combining the power of A.I. and adjustable weighting, Callaway has created a driver not only to help forgive mishits but to also allow for shot shaping.
- A.I. Designed Flash Face
- Jailbreak Technology
- Adjustable Perimeter Weighting
In the last two years, Callaway has really been relying on A.I. to create more efficient golf driver designs. In 2019, their program cycled through 15,000 different face architectures before it arrived at what is called Flash Face. The architecture of Flash Face allows for maximum ball speeds no matter where the ball is on the clubface during impact.
Another feature that makes a reappearance on the Epic Flash driver is Jailbreak Technology. By placing two bars behind the clubface, the crown and sole stiffen at impact resulting in greater ball speeds. Jailbreak technology also has the ability to reduce sidespin on a majority of shots. For golfers looking to shape their shots, Adjustable Perimeter Weighting is available on the sole of the clubhead.
A hugely positive feature of the Epic Flash Driver is the amount of customization. Five different premium shafts, five flexes, and three loft angles are all available to choose from. With all these different configurations, there is sure to be a perfect combination for you.
- Impressive Distance
- Lots Of Forgiveness On Mishits
- Outstanding Customization
With all the technology and parts to give you a custom fit driver, the Callaway Epic Flash is well worth the hefty price.
Cobra F9 Speedback
- Speedback Technology-King F9 Speedback driver is the first of its kind to achieve true optimization of aerodynamics and low CG, making it the fastest, and longest COBRA driver.
- Speedback Aero Design-Speedback Technology delivers a highly aerodynamic clubhead design, and is the first to combine a raised skirt, rounded crown and rounded leading edge to improve airflow for maximum speed and stability.
- Low CG Speedback Weighting-The addition of a low, multi-material tungsten weight structure creates a low, deep CG that has never before been combined with efficient aerodynamics, optimizing club and ball speed, combined with low spin for extreme distance
- CNC Precision Milled Face-In an industry where everyone claims to have a fast driver face, ours is the only one that's CNC milled. CNC milling delivers our thinnest, hottest face repeatedly on every driver we manufacture.
- Dual Roll Technology-Dual Roll adds distance to your drives by minimizing the gear effect that negatively impacts launch and spin on high and low misses.
Speed, style, and performance combine to create the best entry into the Cobra F Series of drivers.
- Speedback Aero Design
- Low CG Weighting
- CNC Milled Face
One look at the Cobra F9 Driver and two words come to mind; sleek and smooth. Both these words would accurately describe what Cobra calls its Speedback Aero Design. With this design, the emphasis is placed on optimal aerodynamics and the center of gravity to produce greater clubhead speeds.
Speaking of the center of gravity, the F9 Driver has an adjustable CG Weighting that allows for a higher or lower launch angle. All golfers have to do is simply swap the weight from one area on the sole of the club to another. Adjustability also comes in the form of Cobra’s MyFly Adjustable Loft system.
Cobra has really gone outside the box with the F9 Driver’s face which is made with precision CNC Milling. This leaves the face as thin and “hot” as possible. Since the F9 Driver is from 2019, a couple shaft and loft options are no longer available. Despite this golfers should still be able to find the club available in two different shaft and flex configurations.
- Lots Of Clubhead Speed
- Great Adjustability
- Excellent Looks
For those struggling with clubhead speed and driver forgiveness, the Cobra F9 Driver just might be the fix you are looking for.
- Exceptional Ball Speed from The Jailbreak Effect
- More MOI and Forgiveness from Our Triaxial Carbon Crown
- Industry leading Boeing Aero Package
- Premium Shaft Selection at Multiple Weights
Callaway’s Jailbreak Technology revolutionized the driver market when it was introduced with the Rouge Driver.
- Jailbreak Technology
- Triaxial Carbon Crown
- Premium Shaft Selection
In 2019 and presumably in 2020, Callaway will continue to include Jailbreak technology in its drivers. But it all started in 2018 with the release of the Rogue Driver. Even in 2020, the original Rouge Driver offers excellent distance and forgiveness.
Other innovations like a carbon composite Triaxial Crown help redistribute weight lower in the clubhead for greater forgiveness. In total, the forgiveness of the 2018 Rouge Driver is on par with even the newest driver releases.
One of Callaway’s biggest marketing tactics was to point to the number of premium shafts buyers could choose from. A total of six different shafts are available in four different flexes including extra stiff. Default clubhead lofts include 9, 10.5, and 13.5 degrees with slight adjustability available through the adjustable hosel.
- Super Forgiving
- Great Distance
- Good Adjustability
Despite being almost two years old, the Callaway 2018 Rouge Driver is still a top performer and a great upgrade option.
- HiBore Crown
- New launcher cup-face
- Unique flex-fins
- Includes Headcover
Cleveland continues its quest for making the most forgiving drivers on the market with the Launcher HB Driver!
- HiBore Crown
- Launcher Cup Face
- Flex Fins
If you find your drives to be very inconsistent with a low flight path, its time to move over to the Cleveland Launcher HB Driver. This is because the Launcher HB has been specifically made for higher ball flight and overall greater forgiveness. To make this combination possible, Cleveland uses a couple of different technologies.
First is the use of a HiBore Crown that cuts weight from the crown and moves it to the back of the club. This repositioning of weight creates a higher launch angle for more carry. Another feature of the clubhead is a special Launcher Cup Face. Thanks to this Launcher Cup Face, mishit shots will have less spin and should travel much farther compared to traditional driver faces.
Currently, the Launcher HB Driver is available in both left and right-hand orientation with the choice between a regular or senior flex shaft. Only a 10.5 or 12-degree loft is available without the ability to adjust the loft.
- Outstanding Forgiveness
- Lots of Carry
- Great Value
- Low Adjustability
No matter your skill level, the Cleveland Launcher HB is the easiest driver to hit well on each and every swing.
- A large, 460cc Titanium head with an adjustable loft sleeve allows for optimized launch and trajectory
- Ultralite titanium core strategically positions mass for higher launch and trajectory control
- Premium matrix white tie 55 shaft for maximum distance and smooth feel
- Legendary speed pocket performance for high launch and low spin, resulting in more distance
- New satin black finish with elegant detailing to improve alignment
Want to know what golf driver is the #1 selling driver on Amazon? Its the TaylorMade RBZ!
- Ultralite Titanium Core
- Speed Pocket
- Adjustable Loft Sleeve
TaylorMade understands that not every golfer has the money to buy the $400+ latest and greatest drivers. So to bridge the gap, TaylorMade created the affordable yet well-performing RBZ Black Driver. It was, and still is, a hit with all golfers on a budget.
The majority of the RBZ Black’s performance comes from a strategically positioned Ultralite Titanium Core. The Core’s low center of gravity helps give shots a higher launch angle and more forgiveness. To increase clubhead speed, TaylorMade included a deep Speed Pocket on the sole of the club.
At under $200, you don’t really expect a driver to have that much adjustability. But the RBZ Black does come with an Adjustable Loft Sleeve allowing for small loft adjustments. Golfers can find the RBZ Black with three different flex options as well as three different loft options. All shaft flexes come with a Matrix 45×4 White Tie graphite shaft.
- Perfect Mix Of Distance & Forgiveness
- Sleek Looks
- Outstanding Value
There really is no better bang for the buck driver than the TaylorMade RBZ Black!
- SP700 Titanium Face for greater responsive force for increased ball speed and distance
- Carbon Composite Crown allows weight to be moved low within the clubhead
- Quick Switch Adaptor for defined loft/lie settings
- CORTECH Design
- ATMOS Red 5R Shaft
Mizuno packs all its performance and quality into the affordable ST190.
- SP700 Titanium Face
- Carbon Composite Crown
- Quick Switch Adaptor
In the golf world, Mizuno is known for its quality and performance. Many of its top-end irons and drivers sell for hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Despite these relatively high prices, Mizuno has created a more cost-effective driver, the ST190.
The first big feature of the ST190 is the inclusion of an SP700 Titanium Face. This face allows for a greater responsive force which generates more distance. Forgiveness comes from weight repositioning thanks to a superlight Carbon Composite Crown. A Quick Switch Adaptor is also included and allows for loft and lie adjustments.
Currently, the Mizuno ST190 Driver is available in left and right-hand orientation, and golfers have the choice between three flexes and three loft angles. Unlike more expensive drivers, no premium shaft choices are available and each ST190 driver comes with an ATMOS Red 5R shaft.
- Lots of Distance
- Great Control
- Good Value
Quality construction, great performance, and outstanding forgiveness are all the reasons why you should add the Mizuno ST190 to your bag.
Srixon Z 785
- Ti51AF Cup Face – Stronger, lighter, and faster: our new Ti51AF Cup Face produces exceptional ball speed for greater distance.
- Lightweight Carbon – A lightweight carbon crown moves mass to the perimeter for more forgiving, more accurate drives.
- Quick Tune System – Effortlessly adjust loft and swing weight with the Quick Tune Adjustment and Customization System.
Have the confidence on the tee that you will never miss the fairway with the Srixon Z 785!
- Ti51AF Cup Face
- Lightweight Carbon Crown
- Quick Tune System
Upon first glance, the Z 785 Driver doesn’t seem to stand out all that much. A simple black crown, no wacky sole designs, and a sparsely marked face might make you think this driver is just a generic junk driver. But don’t let the subdued look fool you. The Srixon Z 785 is made to perform.
It features a Ti51AF Cup Face that increases ball speed across the entire face. Add in a Lightweight Carbon Crown and you have a recipe for long and straight drives. Golfers who like to work the ball off the tee will notice that the Z 785 excels in this category.
One slight downside to the Z 785 is that it is only offered in stiff or regular flex with lofts of 9.5 or 10.5 degrees. Some adjustability to loft and lie is available with Srixon’s patented Quick Tune System. Each driver comes with a 65-gram HZRDS Black Shaft.
- Great Stability & Forgiveness
- Easy To Hit
- Good Adjustability
- A Little Pricey
With low spin and a penetrating ball flight, the Srixon Z 785 is perfect for golfers looking for more forgiveness off the tee.
Wilson Staff Cortex
- Fast Cage: Over 44% of the head has been replaced with lightweight carbon fiber, leaving a rigid titanium skeleton that provides structural stability and precise weight distribution for ultimate in adjustability.
- Spin Control: Wilson’s longest slide track offers golfers a wide range of spin options that will help deliver a low launching ball flight for maximum fairway rollout, or a high launch angle for the greatest carry.
- Direction Control: The Cortex Driver comes standard with the 8g weight near the toe and the 2g weight near the heel. To obtain a draw setting, the 8g weight can easily be moved to the heel and the 2g to be inserted near the toe.
- Trajectory Control: The Fast Fit hosel system allows you to dial in your preferred ball trajectory by fine tuning the loft in half-degree increments.
- Launch Control: Premium Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec Shafts are available in three profiles, each with a unique launch and spin characteristics.
Dial-in your perfect configuration with the extensive weight system on the Wilson Staff Cortex.
- Fast Cage Technology
- Adjustable Weights
- Three Launch Type Shafts
Building an outstanding driver begins with the internal structure. For the Wilson Staff Cortex, that means using Fast Cage Technology where 44% of the clubhead is replaced with lightweight carbon fiber. The rest of the club is then made of machined Titanium for unmatched strength and durability.
What really sets the Cortex Driver apart is the use of a perimeter and rail weighing system. Players can adjust two weights at the perimeter of the clubhead to either keep the clubhead in a neutral weighting or with a draw bias. The central rail weighing system allows for four different launch angles, perfect for golfers looking for optimal launch height.
Golfers will be able to choose between three flexes; senior/regular, stiff, and extra stiff. Each flex comes with its own specific ATMOS shaft. Golfers also have the choice of a 9, 10.5, or 12-degree clubhead. Adjustments to this loft can be made through an adjustable hosel.
- Solid Distance
- Great Looks
- Outstanding Adjustability
- Good Value
Hit the practice range and tweak the Wilson Staff Cortex until you create the perfect setup for your individual swing.
Senior Men's Majek
- Right Handed / 12.5° Loft / 460cc Size (Maximum USGA Legal Size)
- Premium Senior Size Black Velvet Grip
- Premium Lightweight Graphite Shaft – Senior Flex
- Men's Standard Length / 45 1/2 inches
- Free Driver Headcover with every order
Engineered and handmade in Riverside, California the Majeck High Launch is the answer for forgiving and high launching drives!
- Extra Thin Face
- Low Center Of Gravity
- High Launch
All golf club manufacturers make their clubs forgiving to a certain degree. But only Majeck has taken driver forgiveness to the next level! With some help from UCLA’s engineering department, Majeck has created a high launching driver with ultra forgiveness.
Made with an extra thin face, the Majeck High Launch Driver gets a trampoline effect at impact which promotes maximum carry. A super low center of gravity helps improve forgiveness on shots outside of the driver’s sweet spot. For most golfers, the increase in carry distance and forgiveness should result in more consistent drives.
Almost no customization or adjustability is available for the Majeck High Launch Driver. Each driver comes with a 12.5 degree lofted club head and a senior flex graphite shaft. So if you are a senior golfer who wants the most forgiveness and carry possible, the Majeck High Launch Driver is for you.
- Lots Of Carry
- Perfect For Senior Golfers
- Great Value
- Low Adjustability
Bring consistency back to your drives when you add the Majeck High Launch to your bag!
In this section, we will cover key information for beginner golfers as well as what to look for in a driver.
How to Hit a Driver – for Beginners
A driver is probably the most iconic club in a golf bag. It’s the club that everyone wants to hit because of its size, sound, and impressive distance. But for beginners, hitting a driver can be tough. So here are some tips and pointers to get you swinging like a pro.
Tip #1: Get a perfect stance
Before you even pick up your driver, take some time to create a perfect stance. Start by setting the ball up on a tee. Then, stand in line with the ball with your left shoulder (assuming you’re right-handed) facing your target. Next, place your feet about shoulder-width apart with the ball positioned just slightly forward in your stance. Remember this stance, as it will be the same each and every drive.
Tip #2: Work on your posture
Remember the stance from tip #1? It’s time to refine it a bit. So take a driver in your hand and set the clubhead just behind the ball. Back away from the ball until the grip end of the shaft is about at belly button height, then take your stance. After taking your stance, make sure to bend your knees slightly and evenly place your weight between both feet. Again, remember this stance and posturing.
Tip #3: A light grip is everything
Gripping a golf driver (or any golf club for that matter) isn’t about how much grip strength you have. It’s actually the opposite, as a lighter grip allows for proper clubhead rotation during your swing.
So for those new to gripping a golf club, take your left hand and grip near the back of the club with your thumb running down the front of the golf grip.
Then, take your right hand and do the same grip with your right thumb locking over your left. Just like that, you have a traditional golf grip! Just remember to keep the grip pressure somewhat light during your swing.
Tip #4: Take a nice and easy swing
Over swinging is the downfall of many beginner golfers. To avoid this, take your stance and grip as outlined in tips 1-4 with the driver head resting just behind the golf ball. Next, bring the clubhead backward and away from the ball by only rotating your shoulders.
As the club reaches shoulder height, let your front hip turn just a bit. Finally, when your hands reach shoulder height, bring the club down and through the ball, turning towards your target at the end of your swing. Again, swinging too hard will only make more issues arise, let the club do the work.
What to look for in a driver
Great drivers all have one thing in common; the use of strong yet lightweight materials. Materials like titanium, carbon fiber, and specialty made plastics are all perfect for driver head construction. So if you want a well-performing driver, make sure it has at least one of these materials in the main construction.
An often overlooked, yet vitally important part of a driver is the shaft. Driver shafts come in various weights, flexes, and kick points. Most importantly, make sure that the driver you want to purchase has a shaft with the right flex for you. Most common shaft flexes are ladies, senior, regular, stiff, and extra stiff. Most golfers will fall under the first three, while faster swinging golfers will need stiff or extra stiff shafts.
Default driver settings work well for most, but to really dial in a driver you might need to adjust it. Most drivers now offer the option of slight loft or lie adjustments from the hosel. Other drivers even have interchangeable sole weights to promote higher launches or a draw. So for your next driver purchase, make sure it is adjustable.
Here we are at the end of our review of the 10 most forgiving drivers on the market. We hope that this guide has given you all the information you need to purchase your next driver. In case you are still on the fence as to which driver is right for you, here are some suggestions.
If you are after distance with a great mix of forgiveness, the Callaway 2018 Rouge Driver is the one for you! It is by far the longest hitting driver on our list. For all-around affordability and performance, you can’t go wrong with the TaylorMade RBZ Black! But if you want the latest and greatest no matter the price tag, the TaylorMade M6 is the go-to.
No matter which driver you choose, we promise that it will be forgiving off the tee for more shots in the fairway. So add one of these drivers to your bag today!
For those struggling with tee shots, it pays to have the most forgiving driver - we've reviewed the top 10 best options available.
- Taylormade M6
- Callaway Epic Flash
- Cobra F9 Speedback
- Callaway Rogue
- Cleveland HB
- TaylorMade RBZ
- Mizuno ST190
- Srixon Z 785
- Wilson Staff Cortex
- Senior Men's Majek