From short cut grass to long and dry, a golf course has many different types of terrain. While all golfers intend to only play from the well-kept fairways, there are times when one will find themselves in less than favorable terrain.
Thankfully, if you do find yourself in deep rough there are clubs that are made specifically to help you get out. Called rescue clubs, these clubs are a mix of a fairway wood and iron. The best rescue club will have other features that help with stabilization and promote better turf interactions.
Rescue clubs are also commonly known as hybrids or utility clubs and are very common to find in almost any golfer’s bag. But you might be wondering what rescue club is best for me? Well, many factors go into determining the best rescue club but we have done all the hard work for you and compiled the 12 best rescue clubs on the market. Each rescue club in this review is included because of its performance, quality, or value.
So go ahead, sit back and get comfortable, and dive right into our top 12 best rescue clubs.
Best Rescue Club
TaylorMade Golf M6
- TWIST FACE: First time in a hybrid for straighter and longer mis-hits; Twist Face is a revolutionary face curvature with a corrective face angle on off-center hits, engineered to reduce side spin and deliver straighter shots
- LOW-CG, STEEL-BODY CONSTRUCTION: Thin, fast face for improved ball speed ad overall distance; Stepped crown for lower CG and easy alignment
- ADVANCED SPEED POCKET DESIGN: New TPU slot insert is more flush with the surface for improved turf interaction; Improved slot flexibility for a larger COR area, and better off-center performance, especially on low-face strikes
Over the last several years, Taylormade has been in pursuit of perfection in all of its clubs and with the M6 Rescue Hybrid, Taylormade has packed more technology and features into a hybrid than ever before.
- Twist Face Technology
- Speed Pocket Design
- Steel Body Construction
If you have a desire for a rescue club that has the latest and greatest features, then go no further! The Taylormade M6 Rescue Hybrid has everything you need to help get you out of trouble with minimal effort.
Patented technology like Twist Face and Speed Pockets make the M6 a club that boasts excellent performance and feel. Plus, lightweight construction helps golfers increase swing speed without needing to change their swing.
Available in left and right-hand configuration, three flexes (senior, regular, and stiff), and five lofts means that there is a setup for every golfer. An added bonus is the inclusion of a premium Fujikura aftermarket shaft.
- Best In Class Performance
- Exceptional Feel
- Upgraded Fujikura Atmos Shaft
Tour quality features and performance are available for every golfer thanks to the M6 Rescue Hybrid, with the only drawback being the high price.
TaylorMade Men's RBZ
- Legendary speed pocket for high launch and increased carry distance
- New satin black finish with elegant detailing to improve alignment
- Shallow profile and improved sole geometry for optimized turf interaction
- Lightweight RocketFuel shaft for increased speed
- Strategically positioned mass pad for optimal launch, sound, and feel
Although Taylormade’s other lines of golf clubs like the RBZ may not carry the same amount of technology, they still perform better than many similar rescue clubs on the market.
- Speed Pocket Design
- Strategically Placed Mass Pad
- Lightweight RocketFuel Shaft
The whole draw of the RBZ line of clubs from Taylormade is that every club is engineered to be as light as possible as a way to increase swing speed. To achieve the goal of faster swing speeds, Taylormade had to include many different features specific to achieving their goal.
For the clubhead itself, a Deep Speed Pocket is found on the sole of the club just behind the face. A mass pad was also placed at the rear of the club to help create a better center of gravity and add more stability. Rounding out the innovations is a specially made RocketFuel shaft that weighs in at just 65 grams.
Three different lofts (19, 22, and 25 degrees), as well as three flexes, are offered. Also, RBZ Rescue Clubs are available in left and right-hand configurations.
- Excellent Performance
- Great Swing Speed
- Super Lightweight Shaft
Golfers who are searching for a lightweight rescue club that will help them increase their swing speed should look no further than the Taylormade RBZ Rescue.
Srixon Z U85
- A Hollow construction creates controllable long irons. Get forgiveness with a high-launch trajectory.
- FORGED CONSTRUCTION Ultra-soft 1020 carbon steel combines with a high-strength SUP10 face to give you soft feel and unmatched distance.
- IRON-LIKE ADDRESS PROFILE A clean, inspiring design boosts your confidence on the tee or in the fairway.
While most rescue clubs have a more pronounced hybrid styling, the Srixon Z U85 keeps the traditional iron style while extending and widening the sole of the club.
- Hollow Construction
- Forged Body And Clubface
- Iron Like Address
The goal of a rescue club is very simple, to make it as easy as possible to get the ball out of the rough. Many club manufacturers achieve this by adding a larger sole to create a hybrid. Srixon to keep the iron look while also increasing the size of the sole to help make turf interactions better.
While the Z U85 is a little larger than an iron, the added size is mainly hollow to allow for greater distance. Another great feature of the club is that both the body and face are forged high-quality steel which helps dampen vibrations and increase overall feel.
Three lofts (20, 23, 26 degrees) and only two flexes (regular and stiff) are offered. Both hand orientations are available, but sometimes it is hard to find the left-hand version in stock.
- Great Performance
- Exceptional Feel
- High Quality Forged Face
While hybrid style clubs have been very common, some people still prefer using an iron style club even for lower lofts. With its high quality forged clubhead and excellent performance, the Srixon Z U85 is an excellent rescue club.
- Redesigned open channel speed pocket creates a large sweet spot and ensures distance from any lie
- Low center of Gravity works in conjunction with the speed pocket to deliver hot trajectory
- Comes with real 75 and arrow 600 ribbed grip
Even though Taylormade is now producing the M6, which is 3 generations ahead of the M2, the M2 Rescue club is still an excellent choice for those looking for brand name equipment and performance.
- Open Channel Speed Pocket
- Confidence Boosting Shape
- Fluted Hosel
Many people want to use the latest and greatest equipment, but many realize that it just isn’t possible due to the high price of brand new golf clubs. Thankfully, waiting to pick up today’s greatest in a year or two after it comes out begins to make more economical sense. So while the M2 Rescue may be a couple of years old it is still a great club at a price point that is easier on the wallet.
Taylormade designed the M2 with a large Speed Pocket and confidence-boosting shape to help golfers hit the best shot possible. Even a fluted hosel was added to help re-distribute weight from the hosel to the center of the club. All of these features can still be found on today’s M6 version.
Golfers have many options regarding configuration since the M2 comes in both left and right-hand varieties, has three flexes (senior, regular, and stiff), and 4 different lofts.
- Solid Performance
- Good Balance
- Pleasing Sound
The Taylormade M2 Rescue Club is still a fantastic choice for golfers who are looking for a rescue club that offers brand name performance at a slightly lower price than buying the newest model available.
- PowerShell Face Technology-A thinner, stronger L-CUP face and sole structure delivers our largest Sweet Zone ever for higher ball speeds and explosive distance across all points of the face
- Full hollow body construction-a full hollow body design delivers preferred sound and feel, and lowers CG for improved launch and distance from multiple lies
- 100% CNC milled faces & grooves-cnc milling creates highly accurate grooves for consistent spin across the entire face
- Tungsten weighting-high Density tungsten weights are strategically positioned on the toe which lowers and centers the CG behind the face for more precision and easy-up distance
- My Fly 8 Technology-8 easily adjustable loft settings 2i3i lofts (18.0, 18.5, 19.5, 20.5, 21, 18.5 Draw, 19.5 Draw, 20.5 Draw) 3i4i lofts (21.0, 21.5, 22.5 23.5 24.0, 21.5 Draw, 22.5 Draw, 23.5 Draw)
Cobra’s King line of golf clubs is made from high-quality materials and tuned for performance. For those that wanted an iron style rescue club rather than a hybrid style, Cobra created the King Utility Iron.
- PowerShell Face Technology
- Hollow Body Construction
- Tungsten Weighting
- Cobra Connect
One of the biggest features of the King line of irons is the inclusion of Cobra’s patented PowerShell Face Technology that is supposed to increase feel and distance. PowerShell Technology is also included on the King Utility Club and helps with increasing distance from bad lies.
Two other feature of the King Utility Club is a hollow body construction similar to a hybrid and tungsten weighting. Both of these features combine to create a clubhead that is well balanced with a great center of gravity.
Golfers can choose between steel and graphite shafts, an option that is not readily available on other similar blade-style rescue clubs. A regular, as well as a stiff flex, is offered and two loft options are available.
- Great Performance
- Easy To Hit
- Cobra Connect Support
Overall, the Cobra King Utility Club makes getting out of trouble a breeze thanks to its exceptional distance and stability when in contact with the ground.
Adams 5 Hybrid
- Ghost Slot Technology hides crown slot but keeps benefits of higher balls speeds and increased forgiveness
- Low profile upside down design creates large impact area low on face
- Tri level sole reduces turf interaction for better performance out of any type of lie
Adams has been a long term player in the hybrid and rescue club market, and the Tight Lies series of clubs have been some of the best selling and performing rescue clubs on the market.
- Ghost Slot Technology
- Upside Down Design
- Tri-Level Sole
Adams Tight Lies rescue clubs have been in golfer’s bags for many years and with each new iteration, the technology behind the famous clubs gets better and better.
Like other top hybrids, the Tight Lies Rescue Club features a type of slot technology to help increase face bounce and distance. The Ghost Slot is also part of the Tri-Level Sole which creates different points of contact with the ground to help provide stability in all turf types.
Another interesting feature is the Upside Down Design. With this type of design, creates a large impact area at the bottom of the club resulting in a higher launch from all lies.
The Tight Lies Rescue Club is available in three lofts and two flexes, giving golfers the ability to choose a setup that will work best for their individual game.
- Great Performance
- Easy To Hit Through Rough
- Large Sweet Spot
There is a reason that the Adams Tight Lies Rescue Clubs continue to be best sellers and that is due to their consistent performance and excellent playability for golfers of all skill levels.
TaylorMade Men's AeroBurner
- New Aero dynamic shape with a shallow face raised center crown and new hosel fin
- New Speed pocket increases the size of the sweet spot and reduces spin
- New matte white finish black PVD face and linear AeroBurner crown graphic make alignment easy
- Built with the new Matrix Speed RUL Z 70 shaft and TM Speed Grip
A very common sight among golfer’s bags, the Taylormade AeroBurner has everything you need to get out of some of the toughest spots on the course.
- Speed Pocket Technology
- Raised Crown & Shallow Face
- Matrix RUL Z 70 Shaft
Over time, the AeroBurner has changed its looks and design but one thing remained constant; the solid performance and long-lasting durability. Today’s AeroBurner has all the same great characteristics as well as an upgrade in design and technology.
Two design elements, the Speed Pocket and Shallow Face, are the biggest contributors to the performance of the club. The Speed Pocket increases clubhead speed while the shallow face creates forgiveness. Faster clubhead speed + more forgiveness = lots of distance.
A total of three flexes (Senior, Regular, and Stiff), as well as two lofts (19 and 22 degrees), are offered. Each AeroBurner also comes with a lightweight Matrix RUL Z Shaft.
- Solid Performance
- Excellent Forgiveness
- Very Durable
The Taylormade AeroBurner Rescue Hybrid is one of the most versatile rescue clubs on the market so if you’re unsure of what rescue club is right for you, give the AeroBurner a shot. You won’t be disappointed.
Callaway STEELHEAD XR
- More Speed and Distance from a Larger Face and Next-Gen Hyper Speed Face Cup Technology: A larger clubface energized by our next-generation Hyper Speed Face Cup technology promotes faster ball speed for more ball speed, especially on off-center hits
- Easy Launch, High Flight and Long Carry from a Larger Head and Deep-back CG: Larger head and deep-back CG make XR Steelhead hybrids easier to launch high for more carry and distance
- Faster Head Speed for More Distance from Speed Step Technology: Designed with the assistance of aerodynamic experts, Callaway's Speed Step Technology improves airflow to promote faster club head speed for more distance
- Increased Forgiveness from a Refined Head Shape: We maximized the forgiveness of the head by creating a slightly deeper body and longer blade length, making the Steelhead XR hybrid easy to hit from a wide variety of lies both on and off the fairway
- Stock Steel Shaft: True Temper XP 95 Stepless; Stock Graphite Shaft: Matrix F17
With a simple look and excellent all-around performance, the Callaway Steelhead XR Rescue Hybrid brings every golfer a great amount of versatility.
- Face Cup Technology
- Deep Back Center of Gravity
- Refined Head Shape
Based on looks alone, the Callaway Steelhead XR Rescue Hybrid may seem to be lacking some features that other top rescue clubs include. In reality, many premium features are included with the Steelhead XR.
First, is Face Cup Technology which helps increase distance through expanded forgiveness across the face of the club. A more refined head shape was engineered for speed and distance, while also making it easier to move through the rough. This new clubhead shape is combined with a Deep Center of Gravity to make it easy to launch the ball in any condition.
Regular and stiff flexes are available as are two lofts of 19 or 25 degrees. It would be nice to see a couple more options for configuration to help cover a wider portion of golfers.
- Easy to Hit
- Reliable Distance
- Nice Club Head Speed
- Only 2 Flexes & Lofts
A little more of a unique look than other hybrids, the Callaway Steelhead XR is still a great rescue club that has all the right features to help you turn mistakes into scoring opportunities.
Tour Edge Men's HL3
- Redesigned thinner forged face delivers maximum spring effect and features variable face thickness T
- Heavy sole and hollow body create a low CG to increase launch angle and added forgiveness
- Available individually or as a complete set
Tour Edge’s take on the Rescue club includes a hybrid/iron mix that results in a club that looks like the body of a hybrid with a face of an iron.
- Thinner, Forged Face
- Hollow Body & Heavier Sole
Design wise, the Tour Edge Rescue Hybrid/Iron is very interesting. The face of the club is a traditional iron face while the body looks like a hybrid with a smaller tank. This combination makes for a very unique look.
The iron like face is extremely thin to give a springboard effect when the face and ball come into contact during impact. Added feel and durability come from a forging process that the face goes through during manufacturing. The remaining body is hollow, while the sole is made to be heavier.
Many configuration options are available to golfers, as there are two hand orientations, two shaft materials, and three types of flexes to choose from.
- Great From The Ground Or Tee
- Excellent Control
- Perfect Mix Of Iron & Hybrid
- A Little Heavy
The design and styling for the club may take a round or two to get used to, but once comfortable, any golfer should have no problem getting great distance and forgiveness from the Tour Edge Rescue Hybrid/Iron.
TaylorMade Women's Kalea
- Ultralite shafts and speed pocket technology work collectively to increase launch and ball speed, resulting in more carry with maximum distance
- Each club features an individually optimized weight, length, loft, and design for proper gapping between clubs
- Low, deep center of gravity makes it easier to get the ball in the air
Very few rescue clubs are available individually to women and even fewer have the performance and durability that comes with the Taylormade Kalea Ultralite Rescue Hybrid.
- Speed Pocket Technology
- Ultralite Low Kick Shaft
While there are many men’s rescue clubs on the market, an area that lacks a lot of options is the women’s rescue club market. Thankfully the Kalea Ultralite Rescue Hybrid is one of the best performing and best value clubs for women.
Each Kalea Ultralite Rescue Hybrid comes with Taylormade’s patented Speed Pocket Technology to help increase overall clubhead speed. To add even more speed, Taylormade has included a super lightweight graphite shaft that also has a low kick point to promote easy ball launch.
Available in both left and right-hand orientations, the Kalea Ultralite is also available in a 4 and 5 hybrid loft configuration.
- Best Rescue Club For Ladies
- Easy To Hit
- High And Long Launch
With very few women’s options, the Taylormade Kalea Ultralite Rescue Hybrid is a shining star in a part of the golf market that has very few options available.
- √ MAZEL Golf Utility club is easy to hit, forgiving & accurate. A traditionally shaped hybrid profile that delivers higher launch and improved forgiveness without sacrificing the accuracy of a long iron.
- √ Golf head adopted with aerodynamic design improves airflow to promote faster speed for more distance.
- √ Increased Forgiveness from a Refined Head Shape: We maximized the forgiveness of the head by creating a slightly deeper body and longer blade length.
- √ Easy to launch high for more carry and distance with larger head and deep-back CG.
Mazel brings performance and value to the table with their new Rescue Hybrid that features a new design that helps all golfers hit the ball higher and farther.
- Aerodynamic Design
- Refined Head Shape
Every club manufacturer looks to design their clubs to have the best aerodynamics as possible and while this can result in some interesting designs, Mazel found that sometimes simpler is better.
Mazel even refined the head shape, giving the Rescue Hybrid a deeper body and longer blade length. This has really increased the club’s ability to get the ball off the ground with little difficulty.
Sadly, only one loft angle of 21-degrees and only two flexes (Regular and Stiff) are offered. This might make it a bit hard to find the perfect configuration for your game.
- High Launch Angles
- Solid Forgiveness
- Good Distance
- Not As Technologically Advanced
- Few Configuration Options
A simple rescue hybrid that does its job extremely well, the Mazel Rescue Hybrid is perfect for the golfer looking for an upgrade while still being on a budget.
Pinemeadow Men's Excel EGI
3 used from $35.45
- CLUB/LOFT: 3 Hybrid/19°, 4 Hybrid/22°, 5 Hybrid/25°, 6 Hybrid/28°, 7 Hybrid/32°, 8 Hybrid/36°, 9 Hybrid/40° & PW Hybrid/45°
- HYBRID MOVEMENT: More and more players are trading in their traditional irons and replacing them with hybrids. The EGI hybrids allow you to do this for every iron in your bag. Join the movement and expect an improvement in your game
- BIGGER SWEET SPOT: All hybrids feature a nice balance of weight throughout the entire club head that increases and widens the sweet spot. The shape of the club head allows you to use these clubs from various lies, good or bad
- GRAPHITE SHAFT: Hybrids are equipped with a Pinemeadow Graphite shaft. The hybrid shaft paired with the stainless steel clubhead gives you the best combination you need in a hybrid
- HEADCOVER: All hybrids come with a headcover to protect your club while it is being transported in your golf bag
Made for the beginner golfer, the Pinemeadow Excel Rescue Hybrid was created to be very affordable and simple to use.
- Huge Sweet Spot
- Simple Head Shape
Pinemeadow has gotten a reputation of creating golf clubs and accessories that get the job done while being offered at a price point that almost anyone can afford. These products have greatly reduced the start up cost of anyone who wants to start golfing.
While there isn’t anything super spectacular about the Pinemeadow Excel Rescue Hybrid, it is a decent club that carries a large sweet spot. This helps create better distance from shots that occur outside of the center of the clubface.
Another benefit of the Excel Rescue Hybrid is that the clubhead is very simple making it perfect for beginners or those who want to try golf for the first time.
One noted negative is that the steel that is used for the face of the club is a little cheap meaning that it will rust easily, so make sure to store the Excel Rescue Hybrid when it completely dry.
- Added Distance
- Not As Technologically Advanced
- Rusts Easy
If you are a beginner or just someone who wants to go golfing on a budget, the Pinemeadow Excel Rescue Hybrid is the perfect club for you!
No matter your skill level, every golfer will find themselves in less than ideal position at some point during their round. Thankfully, there are certain clubs to help golfers get out of tricky situations. For shots that find themselves in high grass and a long way from the hole, a rescue club is all you need.
While all the rescue clubs featured in our reviews are great, certain styles of clubs may fit your swing style or preferences better. The first thing to be considered is the shape of the clubhead. Many golfers prefer the hybrid style club head since it helps create better turf interactions and makes it easier to launch the ball higher. But for those that like irons, a more traditional iron style rescue hybrid may be more appropriate.
Another factor to consider is the loft of a rescue club. Usually, a 19-21 degree loft is used for a rescue club, but many more lofts can be offered. So make sure that you choose a loft that you feel most comfortable using.
But no matter what, every golfer should have some type of rescue club included in their bag. While you might not use them all that much, they end up being worth their weight in gold as soon as you find yourself in uncharted territory.
Hopefully, this review guide gave you some insight into the different types of rescue clubs on the market. Every golfer is different, and this is why we highlighted a wide diversity of rescue clubs making sure that there is a club in our review for every golfer. So, find the one that fits your golf game best and start getting out of trouble like a pro!