The 21st century has bought many fantastic women across every sport and golf was no exception. While it does have its challenges, setting yourself up with the right equipment is the first key step. There are many golf club sets specifically for women so let’s take a look at the key things to consider while making your decision. The following post explores the differences between men and women clubs and highlights what we consider are the best lady golf clubs in 2017.
Quick Comparison Table:
What’s in a Female Golf Club Set?
While the female build is very different to a males, so too are the golf clubs. In a women golf club set there would typically be:
- 3 Woods
- 7 Irons
- 2 Wedges
The 3 woods comprises of 1 driver, 3 wood club and 5 wood club. Of the 7 irons there would be a 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 club. The wedges are sand and pitching with at least 1 hybrid and a putter. The Professional Golf Association allows a played to have 14 clubs and you are free to choose which 14 you would like. The above list is 13 clubs so feel free to include an extra, alternate club. We recommend using a hybrid club as they are more forgiving and are a bit easier to hit with. As a rule of thumb the lowest numbered hybrid (ie. 3 iron) allows any lady to hit the golf ball a little shorter than that of the highest numbered fairway wood. Roughly 10 or 15yards. For this reason, women golf club sets generally comprise of more hybrids.
Best Lady Golf Clubs 2017
6 used from $ 211.26
2 used from $ 416.23
NEW! WILSON ULTRA Womens Ladies Right Handed Complete Golf Club Set w/Bag
- Brand: NMC Shop
- EAN: 8859200020026
- EAN List: EAN List Element: 8859200020026
- Label: WILSON
- Manufacturer: WILSON
- Product Group: Sports
- Product Type Name: GOLF_CLUB_IRON
- Publisher: WILSON
- Studio: WILSON
- Title: NEW! WILSON ULTRA Womens Ladies Right Handed Complete Golf Club Set w/Bag | WGGC27100
In the golfing world, Wilson is a well renowned brand. Very popular amongst female golfers, the produce fantastic equipment. In this price range, this set offers the best value for money, especially if you are looking for good, quality clubs without the price tag.
Included in the set:
- 3 Fairway Wood
- 4 Hybrid
- Irons 5
- Standard Grip
- Shaft: Irons steel
- Recommended for Beginner golfers
- Women’s Standard: 5’3″ to 5’9″
The Wilson Ultra Womens set are a nice purple colour and with 4.5 out of 5 stars and over 50 customer reviews these are a great buy. The only negative with this set is that the bag does not have a stand.
Callaway Women's Strata Plus Complete Golf Set (14-Piece Set)
6 used from $ 211.26
- Driver, 5W: Woods have a forgiving sweet spot and a graphite shaft for exceptional distance (Headcovers included)
- Hybrid (5H): Designed for versatility and forgiveness on shots where you would usually hit a difficult long iron; (Headcover included)
- Irons/Wedges (6-PW,SW): Perimeter weighting and progressive sole width technology for improved control
- Putter: Mallet with T-Style alignment to help give you incredible accuracy
- Stand Bag: The lightweight, durable stand bag comes with five convenient pockets, an additional cooler pocket, a rain hood and a backpack strap system
This set is fantastic for beginners to intermediate players. Featuring graphite shafts these clubs will increase your drive and are still very accurate and forgiving. Incredibly popular amongst female players, this set has 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 135 customer reviews.
Included in the set:
- 5 Wood + head cover
- Hybrid (5H) + head cover
- 6 Irons
- Pitching Wedge + Sand Wedge
- Putter – mallet style.
- Bag with five pockets + cooler pocket, rain hood and strap.
The Callaway Strata Plus clubs are a good purchase if within your budget. Available in stylish purple colour, these clubs won’t disappoint.
Callaway 2016 Solaire 13-Piece Set Complete Set
Too low to display
- purple, ladies, right, graphite
A near perfect set for the complete beginner to the experience golfer. These clubs are designed to optimise your golf performance. If you missed out review of the Callaway Solaire Gems be sure to read it.
Available in left and right hand clubs, included in the set is:
- 3 Woods
- 5 Wood
- 7 Wood
- 5 Hybrid
- 6 Hybrid
- Irons 7, 8, 9
- Pitching Wedge
- Sand Wedge
- Stylish retro bag and color options. Solaire comes with a Brand new, stylish and functional pocket golf bag, 6-way divider top for organization. The black Sport one-piece set is available in a sporty stand bag.
- Also available as an 8 piece set – driver, 3W, 5H, 7I, PW, SW, putter
Boasting 4.9 out of 5 stars for over 25 customer reviews, the Callaway Solaire Clubs are well worth the money.
Callaway Strata Tour Women's Complete 16-Piece Set
2 used from $ 416.23
- A lightweight 460cc forged driver that has a large sweet spot and a Titanium head, it's designed for distance and forgiveness that will help you hit it farther off the Tee
- The fairway Woods are very forgiving and have a more aerodynamic head shape for long, high flying shots
- A great alternative to difficult long irons that gives you more confidence on a variety of shots
- These stainless steel irons offer excellent performance with a combination of forgiveness and control
- A forgiving Mallet putter with an alignment help you make more putts. A lightweight and durable stand bag that Comes with convenient pockets, a cooler pocket, a rain Hood and a backpack strap System
Another great set of golf clubs manufactured by Callaway. Offering quality equipment with a significantly lower price tag than those of luxurious women clubs. If you are starting out but want to play more seriously, these are a great set to begin with. Boasting graphite shafts these clubs are sure to perform.
Available as a right handed set, included in the set:
- Full titanium driver
- 3 Wood
- 4 and 5 hybrid clubs
- 6 iron
- Pitching Wedge
- 4 club covers
- Stand bag that is lightweight, modern and an easy carry back strap.
- Shaft Flex – Ladies
Featuring 4.6 out of 5 stars for over 46 customer reviews the Strata Golf- Ladies Ultimate Set is a great set of golf clubs.
Aspire X1 Ladies Womens Complete Right Handed Set
- Includes Titanium Driver, Fairway Wood, Hybrid, 6-PW Irons, Putter, Stand Bag, 3 H/C's
- 460cc Titanium Driver! Stainless Steel Woods and Irons
- Ultra Light High Modulus 100% Graphite Shaft for all woods!
- Matching Deluxe Dual-Strap Golf Bag and Headcovers! Carry your bag like a backpack!
- This golf set is for a right handed player!
The Aspire X1 Ladies complete golf set is a great purchase for beginner players. if you are already quite confident or an intermediate player then these clubs probably won’t be the best choice.
Available only for right handed players the set includes:
- Fairway Wood
- 6-PW Irons
- Putter, Stand Bag
- Stand Bag
- 3 head covers
For those who are budget limited then these present great value. Some people do not like the bag so that is something to bear in mind.
Key Differences Between Women and Mens Golf Clubs
Although the same technologies are applied when producing both mens’ and ladies’ golf clubs as a general rule of thumb, ladies clubs tend to be shorter, lighter and offer a bit more flex. There are a few reasons for this, women are statistically of smaller stature and have a swing speed that is a little slower. For this reason, the clubs are made to account for this difference.
If you prefer a video over text, this is a good summary.
Ladies’ drivers will tend to have a minimum degree of 12 loft which is compared with that of 9 to 11 degrees of mens’. A higher loft is directly associated with hitting the ball more easily off the tee. In addition to this a women driver is much lighter which enables greater distance, speed and trajectory without exerting too much energy.
The woods also boast a higher degree of loft and are once again lighter than mens’ woods. In the woods, ladies also have a bigger range to choose from, as high was a 13 wood which can be easier to hit with than a long iron.
Irons for ladies’ will have softer flex and in some clubs the head can be slightly heavier. However, like the woods and driver the irons are still going to be lighter than mens’ clubs. They are also slightly shorter than mens’ clubs, however, if you are quite tall custom made clubs are available. The combination of slightly shorter and lighter clubs is tailored to the ladies’ slower swing.
Graphite shafts are the most common material for ladies’ clubs. Why? Again this goes back to making the clubs as light as possible – graphite is lighter than steel. In addition to this, graphite shafts also provide a softer flex which provides better club head positioning, power and torque.
The length of women clubs are smaller than those of mens’ clubs. Brands such as Callaway and Ping also have clubs that are 2 inches shorter. When considering the shaft length this is going to be very specific to your height. If you are quite tall, opt for male clubs that are made of graphite.
Shaft flex has two labels for lady clubs. Label ‘L’ flex provide the most spring and are slightly more difficult to control if you are a beginner. Clubs with the label ‘A’ are less flexible. However, both flexes are suited to swing speeds less than 80 miles per hour which generally speaking is the range of most females.
Attesting to the smaller stature of lady golfers, the grips tend to be smaller in diameter as well as length compared with mens’ clubs. This leads to a better grip on the clubs and more control over your swing. Callaway also give the option of tailoring women grips to fit.
Other Key Considerations for Selecting the Best Lady Golf Clubs
For both male and female players the two biggest considerations when selecting clubs are the quality and cost. With females, there is a great variety of golf sets on the market. Covering a large range in terms of cost, depending on your budget. The key thing is that you purchase lady clubs, they are designed and produced with the female golfing abilities in mind. Best value for money is going to be buying a complete set, purchasing individual clubs will be a lot more difficult and more expensive in the long run. If you are an advanced player then that might be what you prefer to do, but for beginners and intermediate golfers a complete set is the best option.
Female clubs in general are manufactured to be lighter and offer more flex than male clubs. These changes mean the accuracy, trajectory and distance are improved for female golfers. There are many choices for lady golf clubs and we have compiled what we consider are the best lady golf clubs in 2017. Our top selections are Wilson Ultra Womens set and the Callaway Solaire Clubs.