Any avid golfer will never let poor weather conditions stop them from playing a round. If you have been caught out in a rain storm and tried a normal standard umbrella you may have already noticed they don’t work so well.
Golf umbrellas are designed to protect you from rain and harsh wind on an open golf course so let’s take a look at the best golf umbrellas on the market.
Quick Comparison of the best golf umbrellas
In short golf umbrellas are generally a lot larger than a standard umbrellas.
The following post will explore key things to look for when selecting an umbrella as well as highlight the best golf umbrella.
Best Golf Umbrella
LifeTek New Yorker Large Golf Umbrella 54 Inch Automatic Open
- BLACK NEW YORKER 54 PROFESSIONAL UMBRELLA: Is a large, oversized rain umbrella designed for the business professional, golf, or everyday life. With sleek styling, including a black windproof canopy, ergonomic handle with rubberized comfort grip finish, and an auto open mechanism, the New Yorker by LifeTek is the perfect umbrella for the metropolitan lifestyle.
- KEEPS YOU DRY: Every LifeTek umbrella canopy is made from 210T micro-weave fabric that is coated with Teflon water repellent technology that repels water and dries fast. This winning waterproof combination and its large, two person capacity will cover and keep you dry when you need it most
- BUILT STRONG TO FIGHT THE WIND: We engineer our umbrellas to be reliable wind resistant and to stand the test of time. Every full size LifeTek umbrella uses a premium gauge fiberglass shaft and an 8-rib windproof frame made from high-grade resin and fiberglass to provide the perfect balance of strength and flexibility to fight the wind.
- DIMENSIONS: Closed Length: 36.5 in., Canopy Arc: 54 in., Coverage Diameter: 47 in., Weight 24 oz.
- PEACE OF MIND GUARANTEE: Every LifeTek umbrella comes with a two year "Peace of Mind" replacement guarantee against defects in our premium materials and quality workmanship.
This umbrella is made of quality materials and expert craftsmanship making it great value for money. It is ideal for the golfer but can also be used in everyday life.
The LifeTek New Yorker Windproof Umbrella is made of micro-weave fabric and uses a teflon water repellent system to wind and rain proof the umbrella.
The LifeTek New Yorker Windproof Umbrella is manufactured with a premium fiberglass shaft. In addition to this an 8-rib high grade resin windproof frame has been incorporated into the design. These features provide the strength and flexibility needed to withstand strong wind.
With a closed Length of 36.5 in., Canopy Arc of 54 in. and Coverage Diameter: 47 in. this umbrella can fit 2 people or 1 person and a golf bag.
Weighing in at 24oz this lightweight umbrella will easily go unnoticed in your golf bag.
Featuring a rubberized ergonomic handle makes the grip comfortable. An auto open mechanism also makes opening this umbrella very easy.
In addition to this LifeTek provide a 2 year warranty against defects and workmanship for theLifeTek New Yorker Windproof Umbrella. Taking into account the above features and glowing amazon reviews the LifeTek umbrella is a great purchase.
GustBuster Classic 48-Inch Automatic Golf Umbrella (Black)
1 used from $ 23.13
- Golf umbrella with pinchless open and close release system
- Double-reinforced, lightning-resistant fiberglass shaft
- High-impact end cap protects and preserves beauty
- Curved hardwood J-handle; attractive fitted sheath
- Measures 48 inches in diameter and 36 inches long
The GustBuster Classic 48 inch Automatic Golf Umbrella is lighter than most umbrellas but far more sturdy, it is claimed to handle wind speeds up to 55MPH. The double layer canopy allows the wind to easily pass through without flipping your umbrella inside out.
Made from 100% nylon it features a pinch-less release system for ease of use during opening and closing.
The shaft is double reinforced fiberglass making it very sturdy and safe in a lightning storm.
It is available in a multitude of colors and features an attractive J handle.
Measuring in at 36 inches long and with a diameter of 48inches this umbrella also comes with a lifetime limited warranty. The GustBuster Classic 48 inch Automatic Golf Umbrella boasts excellent value for money.
RainStoppers 62-Inch Double Canopy Golf Umbrella (Solid Black)
- Fiberglass Shaft and Ribs
- Auto Open
- Double CanopyWindproof
- Matching sleeve
- Golf Grip handle
A very affordable umbrella that doesn’t compromise on quality.
The RainStopper 62 Inch Double Canopy Golf Umbrella is large enough to fit 2 adults very comfortably.
Featuring a fiberglass shaft as well as ribbing for maximum stability. Windbuster technology has also been implemented into the design which allows wind to pass through the canopy in high winds.
Auto open feature makes it easy to use with only one hand.
The canopy is made of Nylon and the handle is quite comfortable being a rubber golf grip.
When closed, the length of the umbrella is 40″ and a matching sleeve is also included.
With glowing reviews if you are looking for a large umbrella without the price tag, then try the RainStopper 62 Inch Double Canopy Golf Umbrella.
Procella Golf Umbrella 62 Inch Large
- ★ YOU ONLY HAVE YOUR GOLF GAME TO THINK ABOUT - You have the protection of the best golf umbrella so you won't be bothered by harsh elements in your environment. A large umbrella that shades you from sun, wind and rain. All you have to do now is win your game.
- ★ NOT JUST FOR GOLFERS - It is protection for everyone. It's a good companion for the great outdoors. Take it while walking the dog or watching your favorite sports.
- ★ BUYING QUALITY - Quality is not cheap. With our price tag you are buying the last umbrella brand you'll ever own. It's so strong, it's almost unbreakable with its sturdy fiberglass shaft/rib and double vented canopy. We have tested that ourselves. Passing it through a wind tunnel for skydivers at 46mph - that is our windproof!
- ★ PERFECT GIFT FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS - This is a gift your family and friends will truly appreciate. A love gift of elegance and style. Available in traditional black and navy blue; and color combinations of green and white, red and white and blue and white.
- ★ NO RETURN JUST REPLACEMENT - Just in case you'll find your umbrella broken (which we doubt), you won't have to ship it back to us. If you have registered your umbrella to our "Limited Lifetime Guarantee" program, you can simply contact Customer Support to initiate the guarantee process.
This umbrella has been tested in a wind tunnel with speeds up to 45MPH. The Procella 62 Inch Windproof Golf Umbrella features a double layer canopy.
With an arc size of 62 inches this umbrella is rather large and will easily cover 2 adults.
Reinforced fiberglass has been used for the shaft (14mm) as well as spreaders and ribs making this umbrella very sturdy.
Closed size of 38.5 inches and weighing in at 1.7lbs this umbrella is very easy to transport.
A rubberized handle and auto open button adds to the quality of this umbrella.
Available in many different colours, the Procella 62 Inch Windproof Golf Umbrella boasts great quality, durability and is exceptional value for money.
PING Tour 68" Umbrella 2017 White/Black/Gray
- Ping 2017 Double Canopy, 68"
- Double canopy allows airflow. Rain stripe design.
- Waterproof fabric
At first glance the Ping 68 Inch Tour Golf Umbrella may appear overpriced. However, there are many reasons as to why this umbrella is worth the price.
Featuring an extra large arc length of 68 inches this umbrella can shelter 2 adults very comfortably, even 3 adults would fit.
With fiberglass ribs, wind will fail to turn it inside out as well as a rubberized handle which makes gripping the umbrella easy.
Double canopy layers as well as waterproof fabric make this umbrella resilient.
Although the price tag may seem a bit steep this umbrella is one of the best on the market. Made by one of the leading golf brands in the World.
TaylorMade TM Manual Open Single Canopy Umbrella, 60-Inch, White
- Single canopy umbrella
- Manual spring mechanism with red fiberglass ribs
- TaylorMade brand-mark printed logos
- Ergonomically correct black textured contour rubber grip
- Measures 60-inch size
Considering TaylorMade manufacture the TM 60 Inch Umbrella, one would assume the price tag would match. The TaylorMade 60 Inch Umbrella is actually inexpensive yet is still a sturdy, reliable and windproof umbrella.
With only a single layer canopy it can still withstand strong winds.
Black, textured ergonomic contour handle makes it easy to hold.
Measuring in at 60 inches in size, this umbrella could cover 2-3 adults.
The shortfall of this umbrella is that it doesn’t feature and automatic open and closing system. nor does it have a fiberglass frame.
If you are looking for something cheap that still does the job well then the TaylorMade 60 Inch Umbrella is for you.
RainStoppers Women's 50-Inch Silver Coated Windbuster Golf Umbrella (Silver and Black)
- Fiberglass Shaft and Ribs
- Auto open
- Double Canopy Windproof
- Matching sleeve
- Foam Handle
With feminine colors, this umbrella has been designed with ladies in mind. This is a sturdy and well built umbrella that features a double canopy to withstand strong winds and rain.
The RainStoppers Women’s WindBuster Golf Umbrella also features fiberglass ribs and a shaft adding to the sturdy design.
A great, rubberized handle making it easy to use. The arc of this umbrella is 54 inches so ideally for 1 adult and their golf accessories or 2 adults.
In the closed position this umbrella measures 34inches making it very easy to transport and store.
For women looking for something more feminine the RainStoppers Women’s WindBuster Golf Umbrella is a great, reliable umbrella.
How to Choose the Best Golf Umbrella
The biggest consideration is how large you want the umbrella to be. You’ll need to consider the size to keep everything out of the rain, wind and even sunlight, as a rule of thumb – the bigger the better.
Not everyone has the luxury of a caddy so you’ll need to purchase a big enough umbrella to keep your clubs and equipment dry while taking your shots.
There are umbrellas of many different colours and styles, meaning you can choose one to suit your set.
A golf umbrella will range in arc sizes of 30 to 70 inches. We recommend an umbrella with a minimum 60 inch span. It must be noted that the arc sizes are not exact matches for diameter sizes.
Material & Weight
In addition to the size, you’ll need to consider it’s weight. As you’l probably take it with you every time, a lightweight and easy transportable umbrella is best.
The material will alter the weight as well as the number of canopy layers. In terms of lightweight umbrellas, some include fiberglass shafts and handles.
This is a great option as they are extremely light yet strong. However, standard metal shafts provide comparable strength and durability.
In addition if you also happen to get caught in a lightning storm, a fiberglass shaft will be more safe than a metal one.
While lightweight is ideal, you need to consider the trade off. The more layers – ie. canopy layers will provide more protection and be more sturdy if there was also wind. However, the material these days is particularly lightweight and of high quality.
Although playing golf in windy conditions is challenging enough, harsh winds can cause your umbrella to invert or fly away. This will render your umbrella useless.
There are umbrellas that are designed to withstand severe winds. A lot are tested against hurricane force winds, although chances are you wont be playing in a hurricane it’s good to know your umbrella could/would survive.
To overcome the issue of wind, many golf umbrellas will incorporate strong components to stop them from inverting. Sloped canopies will direct the flow of air over the canopy whereas ventilated ones will allow it to pass through.
With a lot of things, you get what you pay for. If you decided to purchase a cheap umbrella you will probably find yourself buying replacements every few months. Opt for a sturdier, well built umbrella in the first place and you will not be disappointed.
Overall there are many umbrellas out there, we recommend spending a little more and buying a top quality product. The above are a a collection of the best golf umbrella on the market in 2018. We personally like the GustBuster Classic and RainStoppers WindBuster Golf Umbrella.