Today’s golf drivers are a true engineering masterpiece that combines several different materials into a powerful and forgiving golf club. But drivers are still one of the hardest to hit clubs for amateur golfers; mainly due to slicing and hooking.
This is where driving irons come into play. With a standard iron body and a lower face angle, driving irons allow golfers to hit more accurate tee shots with just a tad less distance. Some of the best driving irons can also be used in place of a hybrid thanks to their widened sole.
In our review guide, you will find the 12 best Driving Irons on the market. All the top brands such as TaylorMade, Srixon, and Cobra are included. We even included some lower-priced options to help those golfers on a budget. Regardless of price or brand, each Driving Iron stands out in a certain way.
Best Driving Irons
TaylorMade GAPR MID Golf Club
- Optimized CG: Ultra low CG for extreme distance with a Mid-High trajectory
- Loft Sleeve: Provides Improved Opportunity for Pefect Gapping and Desired Trajectory
- Shape: iron face profile inspires confidence and easy alignment with a medium width sole fo ease of play and versatility
- Speed foam: revolutionary iron technology has been injected to allow for thinner, faster faces while maintaining excellent sound and feel
Hit it far and straight with TaylorMade’s game-changing GAPR MID Driving Iron!
- Iron Face With Expanded Sole
- Speed Foam
- Loft Sleeve
TaylorMade is really at the top of its game when it comes to game-changing clubs. While the GAPR MID was created with the idea of filling the gap left between a long iron and metal wood, it is also a great diving iron. The body style is primarily an iron with a slightly expanded sole to help with turf interaction.
Speed Foam, a revolutionary type of foam found just behind the clubface, creates incredible ball speed at impact. This is perfect for long and accurate drives. Another benefit of Speed Foam is that there is no loss of feel during impact.
While the default GAPR MID comes in an 18-degree loft, Taylormade has also included a Loft Sleeve. This sleeve is found on the hosel and allows golfers to change the GAPR MID’s loft up or down a few degrees. A regular Taylormade club tool is all that is required to change the GAPR MID’s loft.
- Super Straight
- Well Balanced
- Works Well From The Fairway
For the average golfer, there really isn’t a better driving iron than the TaylorMade GAPR MID Driving Iron.
TaylorMade Golf P790 UDI Utility Club #2
- Forged hollow body construction
- Speed foam
- Low profile tungsten weighting
- Thru slot speed pocket
Made for players that are looking to take their game to the next level, the TaylorMade P790 Driving Iron is the driving iron for you!
- Forged Hollow Body Construction
- Speed Foam
- Tungsten Weighting
Unlike some other driving irons in this review guide, the TaylorMade P790 is a fully forged, 17-degree club. The body is hollow, unlike some forged clubs but this is to allow for better ball speed after impact. Another benefit of a hollow body is a slightly greater amount of forgiveness.
Just like with the GAPR MID, the P790 comes with specialty Speed Foam. Because of how slim the profile is of the P790, the amount of foam is significantly less but it is still present and helps increase forgiveness.
TaylorMade has always placed specialty tungsten weighting at the back of its forged irons. The P790s are no different and get a small tungsten bar on the back. For the P790 Driving Iron, the weighting is specifically positioned for distance and forgiveness.
- Outstanding Feel
- Clean Look At Address
- Excellent Distance
Get yourself one of the best driving irons on the market with the TaylorMade P790 Driving Iron.
Srixon Z U85 Utility Club 3i
- A Hollow construction creates controllable long irons. Get forgiveness with a high-launch trajectory.
- FORGED CONSTRUCTION Ultra-soft 1020 carbon steel combines with a high-strength SUP10 face to give you soft feel and unmatched distance.
- IRON-LIKE ADDRESS PROFILE A clean, inspiring design boosts your confidence on the tee or in the fairway.
Srixon has always made quality clubs and the Z U85 Driving Iron continues that tradition.
- Iron Body Design
- Forged Construction
- Slightly Widened Sole
A driving iron golf club tends to fall into one of two categories when it comes to design; iron or iron-hybrid. The Srixon Z U85 Driving Iron is very unique in that it has an all iron look but with a slightly enlarged sole. It almost falls between the two, but definitely has a blade iron “look” at address.
Like other high end driving and utility irons, the Z U85 Driving Iron comes with a full forged construction. The difference is that the body is made of softer steel for better feel, while the face insert is made of high strength steel. This two steel combination makes for a much more balanced club.
Earlier in this driving iron review, it was mentioned about the Z U85 having a larger sole. The reasoning behind this larger sole is that with a larger sole, golfers will experience better turf interaction. This means that this club will be proficient in shots both on the turf and on a tee.
- High Launch
- Clean Look At Address
- Excellent Distance
Adding the Srixon Z U85 Driving Iron to your bag will help you keep your ball in the fairway off the tee and on the green from the fairway.
Cobra King Utility Iron Black 2i3i
- PowerShell Face Technology-A thinner, stronger L-CUP face and sole structure delivers our largest Sweet Zone ever for higher ball speeds and explosive distance across all points of the face
- Full hollow body construction-a full hollow body design delivers preferred sound and feel, and lowers CG for improved launch and distance from multiple lies
- 100% CNC milled faces & grooves-cnc milling creates highly accurate grooves for consistent spin across the entire face
- Tungsten weighting-high Density tungsten weights are strategically positioned on the toe which lowers and centers the CG behind the face for more precision and easy-up distance
- My Fly 8 Technology-8 easily adjustable loft settings 2i3i lofts (18.0, 18.5, 19.5, 20.5, 21, 18.5 Draw, 19.5 Draw, 20.5 Draw) 3i4i lofts (21.0, 21.5, 22.5 23.5 24.0, 21.5 Draw, 22.5 Draw, 23.5 Draw)
Created specifically for distance and forgiveness, the Cobra Utility Driving Iron is perfect for any golfer.
- PowerShell Face
- Hollow Body & Tungsten Weighting
- CNC Milled Face
At first glance, the Cobra Utility Driving Iron looks almost exactly like Cobra’s other forged irons. That’s because, for the most part, it is just a forged iron with a couple of little tweaks. One of those tweaks is the inclusion of a PowerShell Face and high strength insert that boosts ball speeds.
While the PowerShell Face is impressive, it is also coupled with a Hollow Body Design. Cobra uses this Hollow Body design to position tungsten weights into areas that provide an optimal center of gravity. Most of the weighting can be found in the toe area of the club.
One benefit of the more recent Cobra clubs is the full face CNC Milling. This milling adds a slight texture to the clubface and makes the grooves super sharp. So get ready to experience outstanding spin and control on every shot.
- Large Sweet Spot
- Adjustable Lofts
- Great Accuracy
The Cobra Utility Driving Iron is quite possibly the best utility iron available on the market.
Mizuno MP-18 Iron
- Hollow body, long iron replacement
- Optimized weighting provides a very low, deep COG for high and easy launch
- Satin nickel, non glare, chrome finish
- Kbs C-Taper light stiff shaft
Made with outstanding balance, the Mizuno MP-18 Driving Iron is a joy to hit!
- Hollow Body Design
- Optimized Weighting
- Satin Nickel Finish
Hollow body designs are the go-to for driving irons and utility clubs. Mizuno also includes a Hollow Body Design on its MP-18 Driving Iron, allowing for increased clubhead speed. It is this increase in clubhead speed that can help increase distance.
Optimized weighting is also present and is mostly found on the back of the club. This is why the sole of the club is a little wider than an average iron. Slightly more weight can be found near the toe section of the club, which should help golfers draw the ball.
As for the fit and finish of the MP-18 Driving Iron, it is superbly done. The club has a mix of chrome and satin, which makes for a clean glare-proof look. There is one overall downside to this club and that is that the lowest loft is equivalent to a 4 iron. Most other driving irons have lofts that are considered a 2 iron golf club.
- Outstanding Balance
- Clean Looking Finish
- Great Feel
- Lowest Club Is A 4 Iron
Even though the Mizuno MP-18 Driving Iron does not come in a lower loft, it is still an excellent choice off the tee.
Cleveland Golf Launcher UHX #3
- Hollow construction - featuring a hollow-body construction, these utility irons deliver more distance with additional forgiveness compared against traditional irons.
- VARIABLE HIGH STRENGTH STEEL FACE - A variable high strength HT1770M steel face insert delivers explosive ball speeds for increased distance, even on heel and toe impacts.
- V-shaped sole - featured in both the cavity back and hollow designs, The v-shaped sole improves turf interaction for better speed retention at impact.
Launch your drivers farther than ever before with the Cleveland Launcher Driving Iron!
- Variable Strength Steel Face
- Hollow Construction
- V-Shaped Sole
Clevland engineers pulled out all the stops with the Launcher Driving Iron. Instead of one fully forged club, Cleveland used a two steel process that uses a high strength steel insert for the face. This steel insert is also milled to give a slight texture to help create more control and backspin.
Like many other driving and utility irons, Cleveland’s Launcher Driving Iron comes with a Hollow Construction. Cleveland specifically uses a hollow construction to boost forgiveness on shots that are a little bit off-center. This boost in forgiveness is what makes the Launcher Driving Iron one of the most accurate driving iron golf club.
Sole geometry for Driving Irons are usually very flat, but the Cleveland Launcher uses a V-style of sole. This means that the launcher can be used from the turf without biting into it like other driving irons. It would still be wise to only use the Launcher Driving Iron from relatively flat or slightly uphill lies.
- Great Forgiveness
- Unsurpassed Club Design
- Milled Face
Proficient from both the tee and turf make the Cleveland Launcher Driving Iron worthy of a slot in your bag.
Bridgestone Tour B X-HI Driving Iron
Bridgestone may be known for its golf balls, but all of its clubs are also top performers.
- Hollow Construction
- Wide Sole Design
- KBS Tour Graphite Shaft
It seems that with the Tour B Driving Iron, Bridgestone embraced the idea that sometimes the simplest idea is the best. There is no real special design – just a simple backplate and logo. But several important features are lurking underneath this simple design.
First, is a hollow body design that imparts generous amounts of forgiveness and distance. The second feature is the inclusion of a wide sole. A slight curve is given to the cole to make it much more versatile and more reminiscent of a hybrid.
Again, Bridgestone goes the muted route and uses a plain-looking graphite shaft. But the shaft isn’t just any graphite shaft. Its a high-end KBS Tour shaft found in some of the best hybrids. So expect great and consistent performance from this shaft.
- Solid Distance
- Great Value
- Clean Looks
While its looks may be simplistic, the Bridgestone Tour B Driving Iron is anything but thanks to its focus on game-changing features.
Callaway X-Forged Utility 21/U
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Forged Precision and Performance
- More Control and Forgiveness
- Longer Average Distance
Save a bunch of money and get the Callaway X-Forged Utility Iron for a fraction of other leading driving irons price.
- Forged Construction
- 360 Face Cup
- Tungsten Infused Insert
Callaway X lineup of clubs has always been manufactured with a Forged Construction. A forged construction results in a better overall feel at impact as well as more control. One difference with Callaway’s X-Forged Utility Iron and other high-end utility irons is that the clubhead is a little more compact with fewer hollow areas.
A new technology that is present on almost all of Callaway’s newest irons is 360 Face Cup technology. With this type of technology, golfers will experience more distance and less sidespin on mishit shots. Driving irons like the X-Forged Utility Iron can really benefit from 360 Face Cup.
Like other forged driving irons, the Callaway X-Forged Utility Club comes with a special tungsten weight. Unlike similar clubs, the tungsten weighting is specially infused and inserted near the sole/toe of the club. Weighting in these areas should promote a squarer or even slightly closed clubface at impact.
- Outstanding Distance
- Great Control
- Exceptional Value
Despite these clubs being pre-owned, they still provide outstanding performance and top of the line reliability.
Tour Edge Men's HL3 Iron
- Redesigned thinner forged face delivers maximum spring effect and features variable face thickness T
- Heavy sole and hollow body create a low CG to increase launch angle and added forgiveness
- Available individually or as a complete set
Get yourself the control of an iron with the distance of a wood when you use the Tour Edge Hot Launch Iron-Wood.
- Thinner Forged Face
- Hollow Body
- Heavy Sole
Tour Edge has been creating reasonably priced golf clubs for a couple of years now and its all-new Hot Launch Iron-Wood is a true masterpiece. The body design is somewhere between an iron and hybrid. The back of the club is a little bit larger than an iron and rounded slightly but not as extended as a hybrid.
The body itself is relatively hollow in an attempt to create a more aerodynamic shape that promotes forgiveness on miss-hits. For the face, Tour Edge choose to use a forged steel insert that is quite thin. This thinness should help create more ball speed thanks to a trampoline effect.
Adding a heavy sole to any club is a great way to lower the center of gravity to have a club hit consistently higher. This is precisely what Tour Edge has done with the Hot Launch Iron-Wood. Thankfully, the club also has a rounded sole to help create a more optimal turf interaction.
- Great Forgiveness
- High Launch
- Exceptional Value
Get one of the best driving irons for high handicappers when you purchase the Tour Edge Hot Launch Iron-Wood.
#3 Hollow Head Driving Iron
- Pictured is the #7 Iron of the AT510 series. You will of course receive the #3 Driving Iron of this same design
- The shorter shaft and compact head of this Driving Iron make the swing easier and less intimidating
- Over-sized hollow-head delivers forgiveness for straighter shots, even on off-center hits
- Patented aiming indicator ensures your shots fly directly to your target
- High-Grade Stainless steel construction, giving you long-lasting durability and solid feel
Thanks to an oversized head and patented aiming indicator, the Thomas Hollow Head Driving Iron is slowly making a name for itself!
- Oversized Hollow Head
- Perimeter Weighting
- Patented Aiming Indicator
First thing first; the Thomas Hollow Head Driving Iron is not the most advanced club on the market. The design is relatively simple, and no proprietary technology is used. But that doesn’t stop this driving iron from performing really well.
One of the reasons that this club works so well is that it comes with an Oversized Hollow Head that makes it easy to get long and straight drives. Thomas has moved all the saved weight from the hollow head design to the outside edges of the clubhead. This results in more forgiveness across the entire face.
A unique feature of each Thomas iron is the inclusion of an alignment and aiming indicator. The aiming indicator itself is very similar to a putter, with just a small line in the middle of the club. By making sure this line is pointed at the target and straight, golfers can be confident that their shot will be on target.
- Great Forgiveness
- Very Accurate
- Great Value
If you are unconcerned about looks and just want an easy to hit driving iron, the Thomas Hollow Head Club is the one for you!
LAZRUS Premium Golf Iron
- HANDS DOWN THE BEST QUALITY: This Lazrus golf irons set is made in the same place as some of today's "top" golf iron sets - For 1/4 the price!
- THOUSANDS OF LAZRUS CLUBS SOLD: Our premium golf irons were created for normal everyday golfers like you or weekend warriors but without the crazy price tag. Truly amazing golf club irons that will shave strokes at an amazing price.
- 4 IRON GOLF CLUB: This is for the individual 4 golf iron
- SPECS: Right handed, stepped steel shaft, regular flex with custom lazrus grips. Deep grooves for great spin, control and consistency from the fairway, fringe or rough.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Absolute 100% risk free purchase. Don't LOVE them? Simply return them! A deal that cannot be beat anywhere in the golf industry!
Made at the same factories as the other big brand names, the Lazrus Premium Golf Iron has the same quality just at a much lower price.
- Cavity Back Design
- Steel Shaft
- 100% Risk-Free Purchase
A little secret of the golf club industry is that most clubs are made at the same manufacturing facility. The only difference between individual clubs is the club design and molds used to cast/forge the clubs. Lazrus uses these same factories to make its individual irons.
The design is quite simple for Lazrus Premium Golf Irons; a cavity back iron that includes a steel shaft. No super fancy features, just a quality club at an outstanding price. One drawback of Lazrus’ irons is that they only come in regular flex which means if you have a fast swing speed, you are out of luck.
But if you are on the fence about just how well Lazrus clubs play, a 100% Risk-Free Purchase guarantee is included. So go ahead and pick up the Lazrus Premium Golf Iron and give it a try. And if it isn’t a fit for you, send it back without a question asked.
- Great Forgiveness
- Good Quality
- Outstanding Value
- Regular Flex Only
Save some money and get a driving iron that makes it easy to find the fairway with the Lazrus Premium Golf Iron.
Adams New IDEA a1
- Adams IDEA a1 Hybrid 4-Iron Stiff Flex Steel RH .
- Brand : Adams . Dexterity : Right-Handed .
- Model : Idea a1 . Gender : Men . Club Type : Single Iron . Loft:Standard
- Club Type : Single Iron . Loft : Standard .
- Flex : Stiff . Shaft Material : Steel .
Made for those looking to improve their game, the Adams IDEA Driving Iron is a perfect choice!
- Game Improvement Design
- Wide Sole
- Polished Look
While forged driving irons give some of the best feel and control, they tend to be a little less forgiving to mishits. But a game improvement design that has a slight cavity back, give much more forgiveness. So if you have the basics of golf and are looking to get more consistent, a driving iron with a game improvement design, like the IDEA Driving Iron, is a great choice.
Another important feature of this club is the inclusion of a Wide Sole. A wider sole allows for better turf interaction and more forgiveness on mishits. The widened sole on the IDEA Driving Iron also gives it a slight hybrid feel.
For looks, the IDEA Driving Iron has a basic matte silver top with a chrome polished sole. No fancy nameplates are inserts are present in the cavity back. One slight downside to this driving iron is that it comes in stiff flex only.
- Easy To Hit
- Clean Looks
- Outstanding Value
- Stiff Flex Only
Begin perfecting your driving game with the Adams IDEA Driving Iron!
When To Use A Driving Iron
Choosing when to forgo the driver and instead use a driving iron can be difficult. Because when you choose to use a driving iron, you lose out on the distance that a traditional driver can bring. At the same time, when you use a driving iron you tend to hit straighter drivers with more overall control.
So the best time to use a driving iron is when accuracy matters more than distance. An example would be a tight dogleg or a hole that is lined with out of bounds or other natural hazards. The idea goes along the lines of it is better to lose a couple of yards and stay in play than lose an entire stroke due to a lost ball/penalty.
Another situation that a driving iron could be useful is long shots in on a par 5 or for teeing off on a shorter par 4.
Hybrids vs. Driving Irons
While hybrids and driving irons may play a similar role, they are still two very different clubs. First and foremost, both clubs look very different. Driving Irons have a very traditional iron shape, while a hybrid will take on a more rounded body and smaller overall clubface.
The main performance difference is that driving irons tend to be much more controllable than a hybrid. They also have a much larger clubface, compared to most traditional hybrids. A hybrid, on the other hand, can offer more distance and better turf interaction.
Overall, today’s driving irons and hybrids are not all that different. Both work to fix the same problem and the only significant difference is the design. So many times it comes down to a golfer’s individual preference as to what they prefer to hit.
Now that you have made it to the end of our driving irons review, you should be an expert in what driving irons are and what they can do for your game. Thankfully, there are many different styles and brands to choose from. This means that you will be able to find the driving iron that best fits you and your individual game!
If you are still on the fence of which one of the 12 best driving irons highlighted in this guide to add to your bag, take this piece of advice. If you are an above-average player with a relatively low handicap, we suggest a forged style of driving iron. On the other hand, if you are a higher handicap player, a cavity back or game improvement iron would be better suited for your game.
No matter what, adding a driving iron to your golf bag will give you more options on the tee box and fairway. Having more options can give you that advantage you need to lower your handicap or beat out the other players in your foursome. So what are you waiting for? Add a brand new driving iron to your bag today!
Driving Iron Reviews
Whether you are playing on a course with a lot of hazards or doglegs or you need more accuracy we have a club for you. We've compiled the top 12 best driving irons worth the money.
- TaylorMade GAPR MID Golf Club
- TaylorMade Golf P790 UDI Utility Club #2
- Srixon Z U85 Utility Club 3i
- Cobra King Utility Iron Black 2i3i
- Mizuno MP-18 Iron
- Cleveland Golf Launcher UHX #3
- Bridgestone Tour B X-HI Driving Iron
- Callaway X-Forged Utility 21/U
- Tour Edge Men's HL3 Iron
- #3 Hollow Head Driving Iron
- LAZRUS Premium Golf Iron
- Adams New IDEA a1