The life of a golfer is generally a lot longer than many other sports. When we consider other sports such as tennis, athletics, swimming most generally the top performers are young adults. The same doesn’t necessarily hold true for golf. There are many senior players who perform exceptionally well.
The best way to stay on top of your game is to utilise and adapt your equipment to your style and abilities. As we age our strength weakens as does our agility and hand eye coordination. If you notice your golf slipping, perhaps it’s time to purchase new clubs. The following post will delve into the key considerations for choosing the best driver for seniors.
Best Drivers for Seniors 2017
1 used from $ 410.00
The following are our top 4 recommendations for the best drivers for senior players. When making your selection please bear in mind that these general guidelines won’t apply to every senior player out there. They are general and will suit most but if you are unsure, consult with your coach or visit a golf store in your neighborhood.
Callaway Golf 2017 Great Big Bertha Men's Epic Driver, Right Hand
1 used from $ 410.00
- Innovative new technology changes how the head and face behave at impact to promote more speed across a larger area of the face for increased average distance
- Innovative combination of Titanium exo-cage and triaxle carbon crown (lightest EVER in a Callaway driver) and sole create unprecedented forgiveness in a high-launch, low-spin design
- Redesigned Track and sliding 17g weight allows you to fit the club to your swing, providing 21 yards of shot-shape correction for more control and distance
- Streamlined head incorporates our proprietary speed step, created with Direct Input from aerospace experts, to improve airflow for more swing speed and distance
- Four high-performance Stock shaft options - hazards, diamana, Fuji, and rogue in four weights. Each premium, Tour-proven shaft is engineered to promote speed, power, stability, feel and control
Coming in at number 1 on the list. The Callaway Golf Great Big Bertha really is all it’s hyped up to be. With glowing customer reviews this club will add distance to your drives!
- Clubhead volume- 460cc
- Length – 45.50 inches
- Callaways lightest club made from titanium exo-cage and triaxial carbon crown.
- Four different high – performance shaft options.
With a material composite of titanium exo-cage and triaxial carbon crown this is the lightest driver Callaway has manufactured. This will create maximum forgiveness, high launch and low spin shots.
The clubhead has been redesigned to include a speed step. This improves the airflow and thus increases swing speed and distance.
With an excellent grip the big bertha offers forgiveness and consistently performs well. Price aside, this club is well worth the money invested.
Ping G25 Driver 1w 10.5* Graphite Regular Right
4 used from 265.00
- Ping G25
- You can add or subtract one-half degree of loft on the standard 10.5°, 10.5°, 10.5° and 12° settings to optimize launch conditions for maximum distance.
Significantly cheaper than the Callaway Big Bertha, the Ping G25 Driver is still a fantastic club. With a very forgiving club head and graphite shaft you will be improving both distance and accuracy with hitting off the tee.
Available for both left and right handed orientation, key features include:
- High-quality titanium build
- Head volume – 460cc
- Total weight 205 grams
- Length 45.75 inches
- Shaft Material – Graphite
- Adjustable loft 8.5°, 9.5°, 10.5°, 12°
With the option to adjust your loft to 8.5°, 9.5°, 10.5°, 12° you can tailor it to your swing speed and therefore achieve greater distances.
A longer design and deeper center of gravity the driver will reduce the spin and high reaching shots. The back of the shaft has been manufactured to counterbalance the clubhead weight.
Wilson Staff Men's Stiff D200 Golf Driver, Right Hand
- Reactive Face Technology increases the size of the face to provide more forgiveness on heel and toe impacts
- This new technology increases MOI and decreases the thickness around the lower half of the face to increase ball velocities on mishits
- Each 6-way adjustable hosel features three loft and three draw settings to optimize both launch angle and left-to-right ball flight
- A chemically-etched crown reduces weight and increases the thickness toward the face for structural support and durability
- The Right Light Technology allows golfers to swing even faster with the same effort
The Wilson Staff D200 Driver has been designed for the slow swinger in mind. It is super-light weight which will allow for longer drives.
- Titanium /graphite build
- Right handed lofts of 9°, 10.5°, 13°
- Head volume of 460cc
- Overall weight of 268 grams
- Length – 46 inches.
Reactive Face Technology to increase the size of the face leading to more forgiveness. Decreasing the thickness of the lower portion of the club face which will increase the ball speed for any mishits.
6 way adjustable hosel with three loft and three draw settings. You can alter the launch angle and ball flight direction.
Chemically- Etched crown. This will reduce the weight yet will increase the thickness in the club face direction. Overall adding to durability and support.
This is a great driver for the distance player who feels they need a bit more power.
Callaway Men's XR Driver, Graphite, Right Hand
4 used from $ 97.10
- Speed From Speed Step CrownTo reduce drag and maximize speed through the swing, we've put in a Speed Step Crown and combined it with an optimized aerodynamic head shape
- Speed From RMOTO Face Technology This is how we increase ball speeds across the face by reducing 10% of face weight to make it thinner; RMOTO leads to more energy efficient energy transfer all over the face, allows us to put the CG 17% lower
- Speed From Maximum Shaft Load The shaft is a key component to speed, that's why XR comes stock with the new Project X LZ; It produces maximum shaft load during the downswing loading zone for greater energy transfer to the ball
- OptiFit AdjustabilityChoose from 8 different loft and lie configurations to find the perfect launch for your ball flight; When you get the right launch conditions, you get more distance
- Everything about this driver is optimized for aero efficiency, which is critical to add speed with less drag
The greatest asset of the Callaway Mens XR Driver is the maximum forgiveness and reduction in ball spin.
With this club once can expect consistently reliable and very repeatable ball trajectories.
The speed step crown is featured as a double ridge inside the club head- this will reduce the turbulence.
- Head volume of 460cc
- Length – 45.75 inches
- Left hand degree (9°, 10.5°) and right hand degree (9°, 10.5°, 13.5°)
- Titanium build
- Speed Step Crown reducing drag and maximising speed
Overall another great club offering an extra 5 – 10 yard per swing.
Probably the first place you’ll notice when your game starts to slip. The primary reason because swing speeds slow down with age. Although all aspects of your golfing even how you putt will change, the most obvious is likely going to be your drive. Slight adjustments can be made to bring the decrease in driving distance back on par.
The following is a great video for getting more length from your drive:
Selecting the Best Drivers for Seniors
For courses which high pars such as 4 or 5, achieving maximum distance from your initial drive is pretty crucial. For seniors or ageing players it’s these holes where one can expect more bogeys and double bogeys which is going to push up your score. The following will examine the key considerations when making your selection.
Launch Angle and Swing Power
Launch Angle is quite an important component to understand. The launch angle is the angle which the ball flies from the first point of contact of driver with the ball. The slower your swing speed the higher degree of launch is desired. To increase the launch you would need to buy a driver with a higher degree of loft.
Here is a general guide to degree of driver and swing speed. If you know your swing speed then this will help with your selection.
- 60 – 70MPH = 13-15 degree driver
- 70 – 80 MPH = 12-14 degree driver
- 80 – 90 MPH = 11-13 degree driver
- 90 – 100 MPH = 10-12 degree driver
- 100 MPH + = 9 – 11 degree driver
If you manage to hit the ball dead centre every time but have noticed you can’t achieve the same distances then consider trying a longer shaft. By doing so will give you more width and swing speed. By increasing the length your downward arc becomes larger which gives more power to your swing. Golf rules state that the maximum length of your club can be 48inches (putters not included in this rule). It would be worth trying a driver with a bit more length. The extra length will take some getting used to as your sweet spot will be a little harder to hit.
For ultra light shafts generally a carbon fibre material is used and they seem to work very well for senior players. If you make the switch just like adjusting the length of your shaft your game will need some tweaking and lots of practice to get used to. To drive further distances, the weight should be in the bottom of the driver and the shaft as light as possible.
Most clubs are made from titanium so if you can, buying composite clubs with carbon and/or tungsten will also work to balance out the weight.
Head Size and Material
Club heads are measured in cubic centimeters with the biggest allowed being 460cc. Generally, most clubheads aren’t below 440cc and the change is considerable. Smaller club heads are for golfers who prefer to shape the ball trajectory themselves. If you need more direct shots then the closer to 460cc and larger club head the better. The larger the head will also mean the larger the sweet spot and ability to hit more forgiving shots. In addition, the club head material would ideally be made from titanium. Titanium is very strong and much lighter than steel.
For seniors players a big game changer can be upgrading your driver. Gaining the extra distance will bring the confidence to your golf and have you performing at your best. There are many things to consider when making your selection out of the best drivers for seniors. We like the Callaway Big Bertha and the Callaway Mens XR Driver.