Chip shots around the green are by far one of the most important shots during a golf round. Not only can these types of shots set you up for an easy putt but they can also rescue you from a perilous lie. When it comes to such an important shot only the best wedges should be used.
Thankfully you’ve made it to our review guide where we will help you find the best club for chipping around the green! Specifically, we will be taking a close look at seven different wedges that stand out among the crowd. Each club will have its own mini-review that includes a section explaining its key features. For those looking for a quick round-up of each club we will also include a pros and cons section at the end of each review.
Best Club For Chipping Around The Green
Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0
- Three-Tiered Sole
- Feel Balancing Technology
- Optimized Club Specs
- Country Of Origin: China
Cleveland’s new club, the Smart Sole 3, helps golfers hit tight shots from anywhere around the green.
- Three-Tiered Sole
- Feel Balancing Technology
- Optimized Loft & Lie
Cleveland is by far one of the best makers of wedges in the entire golf industry. With a focus on quality and performance, Cleveland continues to deliver excellent wedges. And the Smart Sole 3 brings together the performance of a traditional wedge with the simple to use mechanics of a chipper.
By utilizing a Three-Tiered Sole, the Smart Sole 3 can be used across multiple turf and lie conditions. This special sole style also helps create the special Feel Balancing Technology that keeps the clubface square at impact each and every swing. Of course, this also means that the balancing of the Smart Sole 3 is unmatched when compared to traditional irons.
Perhaps the greatest reason why the Smart Sole 3 is one of the best clubs for chipping around the green is because of its dual-use both near the green and further away. For close shots, the Smart Sole 3 can be swung just like a putter for easy bump and runs. For longer shots, a traditional golf swing can be used.
- Super Easy To Use
- Great For Bump & Runs
- Works For Most Lies
- Somewhat Expensive
If you want the most versatile wedge that can give you the edge around the green, go with the Cleveland Smart Sole 3.
Square Strike Wedge
2 used from $55.16
- YOUR CHOICE OF COLOR AND HAND: Click between Shaft material “Stainless Steel” and “Stainless-Steel” to change the image; Whatever color you see when you hit “Add to Cart” is the color you are ordering. Choose the hand that matches the other clubs in your set. If you play right-handed irons, for example, choose right hand. The square strike wedge golf clubs for men and women conforms to the rules of golf; Give yourself an edge without breaking any rules with this chipping and pitching wedge
- NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO HIT FAT: The Square Strike Wedge pitching wedge has an extra-wide sole and beveled leading edge prevent digging; No more chunked pitch and chip shots reduces wasted strokes; Heavy, solid feel promotes greater confidence vs thin-faced wedges that dig and rotate; Less rotation with the Square Strike Wedge golf wedge for men and women
- .EASIER SWING MOTION VS TRADITIONAL WEDGE; The square strike wedge golf club for men and women has a putter-like length, 35.5 inches, and putter-like lie angle, 68 degrees, plus anti-rotational weighting make it easy to swing and control; No opening your stance or the clubface; Use a simple straight-back-straight-through, putter-like stroke for greater control and much more accuracy; Use this chipping wedge to chip it close from a variety of lies, Perfect for bump and runs
- MORE EFFECTIVE THAN CHIPPING WITH YOUR 7-IRON; The Shorter length of this golf wedge for men and women makes it easier to control, no gripping down; Our golf wedge for men and women Heavier club head, 330 grams, glides smoothly through the turf and minimizes overactive hands and wrists, a leading cause of fat and thin chip shots; Extra weight moved to the toe keeps club square vs rotating through impact; More loft than a 7-or 8-iron for wider variety of shots, not just low runners
- LEGAL FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY AND 1 YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY:. The Square strike wedge chipping wedge has a high-quality construction backed by unbeatable warranty.
Tired of chunking or fluffing easy chips? Then you have to get the Square Strike Wedge!
- Anti Chunk Sole
- Beveled Leading Edge
- Shorter Overall Length
- 1 Year Warranty
Thanks to a heavy marketing campaign, the Square Strike Wedge has become a well-known brand all over TV and the internet. But all this fame is for good reason. Thanks to several innovative design changes, the Square Strike Wedge outshines traditional wedges in many ways.
Thanks to the use of a wider Anti Chunk Sole and a Beveled Leading Edge, the Square Strike Wedge stops golfers from chunking the golf ball. So no more embarrassment in front of your golf buddies! Both these features also create a balanced weighting system that allows for simpler putter like swing.
Another unique feature of the Square Strike Wedge is the slightly Shorter Overall Length. This really does promote the putter style of swing for better bump and run shots. Square Strike also stands behind this product and offers an impressive 1-year warranty.
- Corrects Most Greenside Problems
- Simplified Swing
- Well Balanced
- Somewhat Expensive
If you want to get more consistent around the green, the Square Strike Wedge is perhaps the best answer.
Cleveland RTX 4
- BLACK SATIN A dark coloring preferred by many, with the least amount of glare at address. Our new PVD proves is ultra-durable for a longer lasting finish
- 4th GENERATION ROTEX FACE TECHNOLOGY With our sharpest Tour Zip Grooves yet, the most aggressive face milling we've developed, and even more precise laser milling, Rotex 4 generates more spin
- PROGRESSIVE FEEL BALANCING TECHNOLOGY New Muscle shaping on the back of each loft progressively adjusts the center of gravity on both the X and Y-axes, enhancing feel and distance control
- MID For neutral and steep attack angles, the MID features a V-Shaped sole enhance for smooth full shot performance and crisp pitch shots around the green
Get the best in Rotex Face Technology with Cleveland’s newest RTX 4 Wedge.
- Rotex Face Technology
- Progressive Feel Balancing
- Lots Of Loft Options
When it comes to Cleveland’s best there is only one answer; the RTX series of wedges. And with the latest RTX 4, Cleveland brings a newly updated Rotex Face for even more spin and forgiveness. Both traditional CNC milling and laser etching come together to create more spin than ever!
Similarly to the Smart Sole 3, Cleveland does some special weighting with the RTX 4 Wedge. In this iteration called Progressive Feel Balancing Cleveland opts for a weighting profile that enhances feel. It also places the center of gravity almost in the center of the clubface.
Golfers that are looking for a wedge that will fit their personal game will love the RTX 4. Currently, there are four different grinds and seven different loft options available. So no matter what type of wedge you are looking for, there is a RTX for you.
- Outstanding Feel
- Lots of Spin
- Sleek Look
- Somewhat Expensive
With the Cleveland RTX 4 in your bag, you will get the latest in wedge technology including spin and enhanced feel.
TaylorMade ATV Grind
- ATV Grind
- 56° Sand Wedge 12°
Need versatility for a variety of lies? Then you got to try the TaylorMade ATV Grind!
- All-Terrain Versatility
- Aggressive Groove Technology
- Versatile Sole Grind
TaylorMade isn’t a huge name in the wedge space but has quietly been growing its offerings. And with the ATV Grind Wedge, TaylorMade ventures into the mid-tier wedge arena. In our opinion, the ATV is an absolute homerun!
Focusing on Versatility the ATV uses a special grind that allows for chips, pitches, and flops. It also has a reduced leading edge making it a breeze to hit shots from really tight lies. Despite being offered in only 52 or 56-degree configurations, the ATV Grind can be opened up for effective flop shots.
TaylorMade has also included some Aggressive Groove Technology that really adds impressive spin onto each shot. There is even a micro-texture across the face to aid in adding spin on softer shots. This really is the perfect wedge for those golfers who want a wedge that will work well in all conditions.
- Good Feel
- Decent Spin
- Extremely Versatile
Thanks to its outstanding versatility, the TaylorMade ATV Grind is by far one of the best clubs for chipping around the green.
2 used from $87.45
- YOUR CHOICE OF HAND: Choose the hand that matches the other clubs in your set. If you play right-handed irons, for example, choose right hand. EASILY ESCAPE BUNKERS IN ONE; The C3i lob wedge is extra-wide. Its auto-glide sole cuts through the sand without skipping or digging; This sand wedge is a high loft golf club for men and women that gets the ball up easily to clear the lip and stop it quickly on the green;
- NO-FRICTION GLIDE THROUGH TURF, NO-EFFORT FLOP SHOTS; The C3i golf wedges for men and women have an extra curve and beveled leading edge that reduce interaction with the ground for consistently clean contact; Hosel and heel shaped to eliminate catching and snagging in rough and to minimize material collection in the pocket; 65 degrees of loft pop the ball high with no effort, no special swing technique required; Clip it cleanly off of tight lies; Hit impressive, soaring flop with ease
- LESS COMPLICATED SWING VS TRADITIONAL WEDGES; The C3i golf wedge is specially-engineered. The design of our sand wedge lets you set up and aim directly at your target; No opening your stance or the blade to hit high and soft; Just set up square and swing to get the golf club close to the pin from a variety of lies; Ease of swing promotes greater confidence when standing over the ball; Enjoy more tap-in putts for birdie and par.
- FEATURED IN GOLF DIGEST’s article “5 Wedges to Help You Hit Better Sand Shots”; The C3i sand wedge was independently tested and verified by MyGolfSpy, chosen by them as a standout among specialty wedges, even beating out a traditional wedge for percentage of shots lefts in the bunker and proximity to the hole.
- LEGAL FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY, 1-YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY; The C3i sand wedge and lob wedge golf club for men and women conforms to the rules of golf, Give yourself an edge without breaking any rules; High-quality construction backed by 1-year manufacturer warranty against defects
Tired of having trouble when you’re in a sand bunker? Well, its time to get out clean every time with the C3i Wedge.
- Extra Wide Sole
- Higher Lofts
- 1-Year Warranty
From the makers of the Square Strike comes a specialty wedge that focuses specifically on bunker and near green shots – the C3i Wedge. With a unique Extra Wide Sole, the C3i offers the best in turf interaction and control. And when you’re in a bunker the sole makes sure that the club doesn’t go too deep in the sand for perfect sand shots.
Another unique feature of the C3i Wedge are the three standard lofts which are significantly higher than traditional wedges. 55, 59, and 65-degree loft options are available and complement C3i’s mission to give golfers easy flop shots. Most golfers will opt for the 55 or 59-degree version as these work best for a variety of shots.
Despite its great greenside performance, golfers need to be aware of the fact that the C3i Wedge does not have a large range. C3i says the wedge has a maximum range of 50 yards, but it becomes hard to use outside of 25 yards. So its best to only use the C3i for greenside shots.
- Great Shot Height
- Perfect For Bunkers
- Extremely Versatile
- Not Very Versatile
Greenside chipping and bunker shots will never be easier when you use the C3i Wedge.
$59.97 in stock
|Size||Black Right Handed|
Lazrus puts together some impressively durable wedges at a value that can’t be beaten!
- Forged Clubhead
- No Hassel Returns
Here’s a dirty little secret of the golf club industry – most clubs are made in the same few factories. So why pay more for a name brand when a company like Lazrus can get you wedges from those same factories at a lower price? But there has to be a catch right? Nope, not at all.
You see, Lazrus’ Premium Wedge comes with the same Forged Clubhead construction that can be found on the biggest brand names like Titleist, Ping, and Cleveland. That means all the same feel and swing characteristics are present with the Premium Wedge. Even a CNC Milled-Face is present.
The best part of this whole deal, a price of just $70 per club! And if you get the three club pack the price per club comes down even more. Plus, if you don’t like the Lazrus Premium Wedge you can return it within 30 days no questions asked!
- Solid Spin
- Excellent Durability
- Great Value
If you are looking for the best value in wedges, then you can’t pass up the Lazrus Premium Wedge.
- Harmonized is one of the most famous lines in all of golf and the Harmonized chipper is a great new club from Wilson
- Chipper perfect for those tough spots around the green
- Alignment aid makes it easier to line up puts more accurately
- No face insert
- Revolutionary head shape
Adding a simple chipper like the Wilson Harmonized Chipper to your golf bag can save you some serious strokes.
- Unique Head Shape
- Alignment Aid
- Easy Swing Design
Chippers tend to have a love-hate relationship within golf. Some golfers love them for the simple fact that they make short chip shots super easy. Other golfers hate them because they just aren’t worth taking a spot in their bag. But the Wilson Harmonized Chipper can be loved by all.
With a Unique Head Shape that combines a putter with a wedge, the Harmonized Chipper is simple to use. All you have to do is swing it like a putter and watch as the wedge-like face pops the ball up into the air. This leads to simple bump and runs as well as small flops.
Wilson also includes a larger alignment aid similar to what can be found on most putters. This further reinforces the fact that this chipper is meant for shots on or near the fringe of the green. But for just a hair less than $50, this chipper is a great value.
- Simple To Use
- Perfect For Fringe Shots
- Low Cost
- Not Super Durable
- Less Than 10 Yard Range
Thanks to its simplicity and low cost, the Wilson Harmonized Wedge is perfect for anyone looking to add a chipper to their golf bag.
Key Information About Wedges
Since this is an article that covers lots of different types of wedges, we thought we should explain some key differences between the wedges we have showcased. We’ll start by taking a look at the four main types of wedges; Pitching, Sand, Lob, and Gap.
- Pitching Wedge: Probably the most common wedge that almost every iron set includes. It features a loft of about 48 degrees which is perfect for a variety of shots ranging from next to the green to about 125 yards. It is most commonly used outside of 50 yards as other wedges are more effective inside 50 yards.
- Sand Wedge: Another common wedge that is carried in every golf bag based out of necessity. At 56 degrees its perfect for most sand shots and can also be used at 50 yards and in very effectively. Many bounce options are available to better customize a sand wedge to a player’s personal game.
- Lob Wedge: Depending on a player’s experience with wedges they may carry a higher lofted lob wedge. Most lob wedges have lofts of about 60 degrees which results in very high ball flights. While they might lack the range of other wedges, they are perfect for getting over bunkers or other hazards around the green.
- Gap Wedge: Perhaps best known as the in-between wedge. Gap wedges usually have a loft of about 50-52 degrees and are meant to fill the “gap” between a pitching and sand wedge. While they aren’t as popular as some other irons, they do help create different shots types near and around the green.
Many of the wedges featured in this article can be purchased in several different lofts allowing you to pick and choose what type of wedge you may need. Since most iron sets come with a pitching and sand wedge most golfers will want to add a lob or gap wedge to round out their wedge set.
Overall greenside chipping can make or break your golf round. All it takes is a couple of mishit chip shots to really ruin around. But by adding the right wedges to your bag you can stop those mishits from happening and even set yourself up for easier putts. That’s why these seven wedges can really change your golf game.
If you are still on the fence about which wedge will work best, here are some of our best recommendations. For those golfers who enjoy using traditional style wedges, theCleveland’s newest RTX 4 Wedge. is by far the best choice. But if you are having trouble hitting your wedges then the Square Strike will be your best bet. Wilson Harmonized Wedge may also be a great choice for those who tend to fluff shorter shots right next to the green.
We hope that you enjoyed our review of the seven best clubs for chipping around the green. If you have any questions or want to leave your thoughts on any of these clubs, feel free to drop a comment below.